This Air Fryer Cajun Salmon Recipe is an easy and quick way to cook salmon and get a flaky, moist fish. Grab some seasoning, a little olive oil and fresh salmon. You are on your way to making a delicious dinner in under 15 minutes!
Why I love this Salmon Recipe
I like to incorporate fish into my diet and we eat salmon at least once a week. It has a rich distinct taste and is quite healthy. I love that it is easy to find in my grocery store's fresh fish section and I typically cook it the day I buy it.
This cajun salmon recipe only contains three ingredients! Besides the fresh salmon, you need a drizzle of olive oil and some cajun seasoning. Of course you can always use another seasoning if you prefer.
Cooking salmon in the air fryer results in a crispy exterior with a tender and flaky inside. This air fryer salmon is juicy and so flavorful. And what can be better than making a healthy dinner in under 15 minutes with just three ingredients?
Seasonings for Salmon
Since salmon is a rich fish filled with flavor, I like a full bodied seasoning to go with it. This recipe calls for a cajun or crole seasoning. My favorites is McCormick's Cajun Seasoning. I can get it at my local grocery store or on Amazon. I also am a fan of Old Bay seasoning which I sometimes will use also.
Depending on what seasoning you use, check the salt content so that you don't use too much or little. Some seasonings can be a bit salty and I have learned the hard way about over seasoning the fish and making it too salty.
How to Cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
- Rub the pink flesh of salmon filets lightly with olive oil then season well on both sides (including skin). Spray the racks or basket with cooking spray.
- Place the salmon on the air fryer rack or in the air fryer basket skin side down. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees. (Preheat air fryer if necessary depending on manufacturers instructions.)
- Remove salmon and let rest for a few minutes before serving. So easy, right?
- See recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions.
No, you do not have to flip the fish halfway through cooking. This recipe couldn't be easier!
The best way to tell if your salmon is cooked is by pressing a fork or spoon down on the top of the fillet. It will be ready when the flesh of the salmon flakes. You can also use a instant read thermometer to check the salmon. Medium cooked salmon should be at 125 -130 F in the center.
I happen to love crispy salmon skin so I leave mine on. The air fryer is a great way to get it nice and crispy. Salmon skin also contains the highest concentration of omega-3 fatty acids on the fish so I like to get the extra nutrition.
While I love the skin, my husband doesn't so I remove it for him (and sometimes I even eat his..lol). It is super easy to remove after cooking in the air fryer. You should be able to slide the whole piece of fish right off the skin with a spatula. You can alkso remove the skin before cooking however I like that it keeps the fish moist and flavorful while cooking with it on.
Tips for Cooking Salmon in the Air Fryer
- Make sure all the filets are of equal size. You can buy one 16 ounce filet and cut it into 4 equal pieces.
- Don't forget to spray the air fryer racks or cooking baskets as we don't want the fish to stick.
- Spread the salmon out so the filets are not touching each other. This will help circulate the air for even cooking.
- According to the FDA, salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Cook it longer if you like well done salmon.
Side Dishes to serve with Salmon
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with Seasoned Sour Cream
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Steamed Edamame with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Cajun Black Beans and Rice via Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
More Easy Salmon Recipes
- Broiled Sweet Chili Salmon with Lime
- Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus with Spicy Ranch Sauce
- Roasted Salmon with Everything Bagel Spice via Food Fanatic
- Bourbon Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon via Garlic & Zest
- Roasted Lemon Salmon with Dill
If you like this recipe for air fryer salmon, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Air Fryer Salmon
- 16 ounces salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 - 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Drizzle the salmon filets with olive oil and rub to make sure all the pink flesh is covered.
- Rub the seasoning on the salmon. (Use less or more depending on the salt content and how seasoned you like your salmon.)
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket or racks with cooking spray. Preheat if necessary.
- Place the salmon in the air fryer skin side down. Cook on 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until skin is crispy and the inside of the salmon flakes with a fork. Internal temperature should reach at least 145 degrees.