This recipe is all about healthy greens. I have been indulging a little too much this last week at various food events. A nice green side for St Patrick's Day will do me good.
I created this slaw because I was looking to put something other than cabbage next to the corned beef or ham that we will be having. If I am going to indulge in some corn beef and potatoes, it's nice to have a healthy vegetable too. While I do like cabbage, I thought it would be nice to change things up a bit. This warm slaw was just the thing I needed.
I typically make Brussels sprouts once per week. They are healthy and can be cooked a variety of ways. I will admit that cooking them does not create a fragrant smell in my kitchen. But if I am also roasting some garlic or baking some cookies, I can easily disguise the smell. Believe me, these Brussels sprouts are really good. I like to make a double batch to have some leftover too.
This recipe is very basic and toppings can be added depending what I'm am serving this with. I love adding a little balsamic glaze when eating the leftovers for lunch or in a salad. Sunflower seeds or toasted sliced almonds are great on top also. But if I am serving corn beef or ham then I want this slaw just as is. The celery seed and mustard dressing shines through and goes great with corned beef or ham.
I shredded the sprouts myself because I was in a mood to do so. That might sound crazy, but sometimes just doing some cooking and chopping relaxes me. It is much quicker to shred them in a food processor if that's how you like to do it and are looking to save time.
If you plan on indulging on St. Patty's Day, you might want to add something healthy next to the beer, corned beef and chocolate stout cupcakes. Below are more healthy green choices from the Sunday Supper tastemakers as well as the Recipe for Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Bacon
- Cranberry Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts via Well Plated
Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw #SundaySupper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 6 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- ¼ Cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
- Add garlic and Brussels sprouts. Reduce heat to medium and cook for a few minutes or until sprouts are wilted. Give them a good stir.
- While sprouts are cooking, whisk together vinegar, honey, salt, celery seed and pepper.
- Add vinegar mixture to the pan. Mix well and cook for another few minutes or until sprouts are at desired tenderness.