Little potatoes are coated with olive oil and herbs then roasted in a hot oven. This Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes recipe makes them crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. A side of roasted mini potatoes are perfect with meat, poultry or seafood.
Why are baby potatoes best for roasting?
In my opinion, every good main dish of meat, poultry or fish can use a side of potatoes. Roasted small potatoes are easy to make and there is very little prep time. They basically cook themselves and there is no peeling involved!
Baby potatoes (also sometimes called new potatoes) are my choice when making a side of roasted potatoes. I cut them in half but you can really leave them whole if you like even less preparation time. The skins of these small potatoes are thin so there is no need to peel them. Skins are also a nutritious part of a potato so if you peel them off, you are losing some of the fiber and nutrients.
Baby or new potatoes cook quickly so I think they are the best potatoes for roasting. Coating them with a bit of olive oil produces crispy outside skin with the most tender fluffy inside that will melt in your mouth. My family expects them next to a special dinner like Tenderloin Beef Tips and Mushrooms or Crockpot Italian Porketta Roast.
Ingredients Needed for Roasted Baby Potatoes
- baby potatoes - I like to use yellow potatoes because they have a thin skin but always come out crispy with a tender inside. But feel free to use any type of baby or new potaoes you like. Baby red potatoes are very good also.
- olive oil - canola oil or grapeseed oil can be substituted
- dried rosemary - if you prefer to use fresh, double the amount.
- garlic powder - onion powder also will give these potatoes good flavor
- salt and pepper - I prefer to use sea or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I start with ½ a teaspoon then add more to adjust to your taste.
How to make Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Baby potatoes are cut in half and tossed with olive oil, herbs and spices.
- The new potatoes are spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and placed in the oven.
- Potatoes are roasted on high heat for about 30 minutes or until tender and crispy, turning once in the middle of cooking time. (See recipe below for more detailed instructions.)
Baby Potato Recipe Tips
- For easy clean up, line your baking sheet with parchment paper. I love the pre cut sheets and always keep a big box on hand.
- Use fresh or dried rosemary. I think dried is very flavorful so I always keep some in my spice cabinet.
- Feel free to substitute the rosemary with another seasoning like parsley, thyme, dill or dried italian seasoning.
- Regular size potatoes can be substituted for baby potatoes in this roasted mini potatoes recipe but make sure to cut them into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Make sure to use a big enough baking pan where you can spread your potatoes in a single layer.
- Store any leftovers in an air tight container. Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes are great reheated in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Perfect next to a frittata or scrambled eggs.
These mini potatoes are roasted in the oven for 30 minutes at 425 degrees F.
No, these small potatoes cook quicker than larger sized baked potatoes so there is no need to boil them first.
Main Dishes to serve with a side of Potatoes
My husband and son are both meat and potatoes guys so these roasted new potatoes are served often. I love serving them next to my easy Cornish hen recipe or Juicy Spiral Baked Ham for the holidays but they really go with so many different meals like Baked Bratwurst or any type of sausage . Here are some entree ideas to serve this potato side dish with.
- Grilled Prime Rib Roast
- Easy Kielbasa and Sauerkraut Skillet
- Pan Seared Scallops with Brown Butter Beer Sauce
- Juicy Grilled Pork Chops
- Cumin Rubbed Steak Kabobs
- Chimichurri Steak via JZ Eats
- Cod Fish and Artichoke Piccata
More Potato Recipes
If you like this baby potatoes recipe, you might also want to make my Crispy Air Fryer Red Potatoes. Here are a few more dishes if you are a potato lover like my family is. I especially like to make all kinds of potato recipes throughout the holiday season. No holiday meal is complete without a good potato side dish.
- Pan Roasted Potato Salad with Arugula and Crispy Prosciutto
- Mini Hasselback Potatoes with Truffle Oil and Parmesan
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Vegan Potato Soup
If you like this recipe for roasted baby potatoes, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
- baking pan
- 2 pounds baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- ½ teasopoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line the baking pan with parchment paper if desired. Cut the baby potatoes in half.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on the baking pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning once in the middle of cooking. Potatoes will be done when they are golden brown with a crispy texture but tender when poked with a fork. Season with extra salt, if needed.