Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The seasoned sour cream makes this baked potato recipe extra delicious!
I often make baked potatoes because they are a side dish that the whole family loves and a no brainer to cook. They provide quite a few nutrients especially if the skin is left on. I always keep a bag of baking potatoes in my pantry as they pair well with so many dinner entrees I make.
Why make baked potatoes in an air fryer?
There are many reasons to make potatoes in the air fryer. Here are mine:
- They are super delicious! The cooked potatoes have a crispy skin on the outside and a creamy, fluffy inside.
- They take only 40 minutes to cook. My family likes ours well done and the air fryer does a good job with that.
- You can use your oven for other things like making Spicy Oven Fried Chicken for the main course or a Cinnamon Apple Tart for dessert.
- This is an easy way to cook delicious potatoes.
How do you make Seasoned Sour Cream?
This sour cream is also super easy to make. While the potatoes are cooking, the sour cream, some dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper all get mixed in a bowl. It can be refrigerated until you are ready to serve it on top of the potatoes.
What other toppings are good on baked potatoes?
If you prefer something other than seasoned sour cream on your potatoes, go for it. Baked potatoes are the perfect canvas to create a work of art. They are tasty with so many toppings and you can adjust them based on your dietary preference. Here are some topping ideas:
- softened butter
- bacon bits
- shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese
- Greek yogurt
- chopped scallions, chives or onions
- barbecue sauce
- your favorite salsa
- pickled jalapeno peppers
The list is really endless. You can top them with several items and make them loaded baked potatoes.
My husband is a ketchup lover and will gladly put ketchup on his baked potatoes. I am not sure if he likes to admit that he does that but they actually taste ok with ketchup on them. I prefer the seasoned sour cream but to each his own.
Air Fryer Potato Cooking Tips:
- Buy Russet potatoes that are large, brown and firm. They should have no bruises or sprouts on them.
- Make sure to poke the potatoes with a fork before cooking. This allows steam to escape from the potatoes.
- Do not crowd the fryer basket or rack. Spread the potatoes out so there in air flow and they cook evenly.
- Potatoes can be salted before or after they are cooked. I tend to do them after so everyone can control the amount of salt on their own potato.
Yes, sweet potatoes can be cooked in the air fryer. There is also a recipe for Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes.
More Air Fyer Recipes:
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN LEGS
- CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER BEEF KABOBS via Gimme Delicious
- AIR FRYER FALAFEL via Skinny Taste
- AIR FRYER CORNISH HEN
Main Dishes to Serve with Air Fryer Potatoes
- SLOW COOKER SHORT RIBS
- ROASTED SPICY RANCH SALMON WITH ASPARAGUS
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS via Jo Cooks
- TENDERLOIN BEEF TIPS AND MUSHROOMS
- PRESERVED LEMON CAPER SHRIMP
- GRILLED PRIME RIB ROAST
If you like this Air Fryer Baked Potato with Seasoned Sour Cream recipe, please rate it five stars below.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with Seasoned Sour Cream
- air fryer
- 4 medium sized Russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Lightly brush them with the olive oil. Prick the potatoes all over the skin with a fork. Sprinkle with salt if desired (see note).
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes in your air fryer basket or on the rack spread out evenly. Cook for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork. They can be checked at 35 minutes to see if they are done or need to be cooked longer.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium sized bowl, mix together the sour cream, dill, pepper, parsley and garlic powder. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When potatoes are cooked, carefully transfer to a plate. Split them lengthwise and top with sour cream mixture or any other toppings you choose.