Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The seasoned sour cream makes this baked potato recipe extra delicious!
I often make baked potatoes with Italian pork roast or Beef Tips and Mushrooms. They are a side dish that the whole family loves and a no brainer to cook. They provide quite a few nutrients especially if the skin is left on. I always keep a bag of baking potatoes in my pantry as they pair well with so many dinner entrees I make and are a perfect side dish.
Why make baked potatoes in an air fryer?
There are many reasons to make potatoes in the air fryer. Here are mine:
- They are super delicious! The cooked potatoes have a crispy skin on the outside and a creamy, fluffy inside.
- They take only 40 minutes to cook. My family likes ours well done and the air fryer does a good job with that requiring less cooking time than a regular oven especially when using larger potatoes.
- You can use your oven for other things like making Spicy Oven Fried Chicken for the main course or a Cinnamon Apple Tart for dessert.
- This is an easy way to cook the best baked potatoes. The air fryer cooks perfect baked potatoes every single time.
How do you make Seasoned Sour Cream?
This sour cream is also super easy to make. While the potatoes are cooking, the sour cream, some dried herbs, garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper all get mixed in a bowl. It can be refrigerated until you are ready to serve it on top of the potatoes.
What other toppings are good on baked potatoes?
If you prefer something other than seasoned sour cream on your potatoes, go for it. Baked potatoes are the perfect canvas to create a work of art. They are tasty with so many toppings and you can adjust them based on your dietary preference. Here are some of my favorite toppings:
- a softened pat of butter
- bacon bits
- shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese
- Greek yogurt
- chopped scallions, chives or onions
- barbecue sauce
- your favorite salsa
- pickled jalapeno peppers
The list is really endless. You can top them with several items or even some classic beef chili and make them loaded baked potatoes. Or serve a baked potato bar and have many potato toppings in bowls for your family to choose from.
My husband is a ketchup lover and will gladly put ketchup on his baked potatoes. I am not sure if he likes to admit that he does that but they actually taste ok with ketchup on them. My favorite way to eat them is with the seasoned sour cream but to each his own.
Air Fryer Potato Cooking Tips:
- Buy Russet potatoes that are large, brown and firm. They should have no bruises or sprouts on them.
- Make sure to poke the potatoes with a fork before cooking. This allows steam to escape from the potatoes.
- Do not crowd the air fryer basket or rack. Spread the potatoes out so there in air flow and they cook evenly.
- Potatoes can be salted with coarse sea salt or kosher salt before or after they are cooked. I tend to do them after so everyone can control the amount of salt on their own potato.
- Lightly brush the potatoes with a little oil for crispier skin. Olive oil, avocado oil or really any type of vegetable oil can be used.
- Remember to adjust cooking time depending on the size of your potatoes. Smaller potatoes will cook in less time than large potatoes will.
Yes, sweet potatoes can be cooked in the air fryer. I have another easy recipe for Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN LEGS
- CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER BEEF KABOBS via Gimme Delicious
- AIR FRYER FALAFEL via Skinny Taste
- AIR FRYER CORNISH HEN
Main Dishes to Serve with Air Fryer Potatoes
- SLOW COOKER SHORT RIBS
- ROASTED SPICY RANCH SALMON WITH ASPARAGUS
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS via Jo Cooks
- TENDERLOIN BEEF TIPS AND MUSHROOMS
- PRESERVED LEMON CAPER SHRIMP
- GRILLED PRIME RIB ROAST
If you like this Air Fryer Baked Potato Recipe, please give it a five star rating below.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with Seasoned Sour Cream
- air fryer
- 4 medium sized Russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Lightly brush them with the olive oil. Prick the potatoes all over the skin with a fork. Sprinkle with salt if desired (see note).
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes in your air fryer basket or on the rack spread out evenly. Cook for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork. They can be checked at 35 minutes to see if they are done or need to be cooked longer.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a medium sized bowl, mix together the sour cream, dill, pepper, parsley and garlic powder. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When potatoes are cooked, carefully transfer to a plate. Split them lengthwise and top with sour cream mixture or any other toppings you choose.
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to follow me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter.
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
I never knew you could make baked potatoes in the air fryer but it looks perfect and I love that crispy skin!
I love my air fryer. I never thought to do baked potatoes in it. Thanks for the info! Another option for getting dinner on the table.
I love using my air fryer for baked potatoes! I love your delicious topping suggestions.
Making this for Thanksgiving instead of mashed potatoes, the recipe looks so easy and yummy. Baked potatoes are my guilty pleasure.
I love making my baked potatoes in the air fryer. It's so much easier and faster than in the oven.
I love air fryer baked potatoes! So easy, but so delicious! I might never use my oven to bake potatoes!
This is a genius way to make a baked potato!!! The toppings are perfect!
The presentation looks amazing!!
Heather @ US Japan Fam
Air fryers are the best, aren't they!! This looks like a great recipe, many are just over my head but gonna try this!
I love my air fryer. I haven't tried baked potatoes in it yet. That seasoned sour cream sounds delicious!
I never thought to make these in the air fryer. Thanks for the great idea and recipe.
I already know I’m getting an air fryer for Christmas, so I’m saving this tasty looking recipe! Yum!
Ok, you've convinced me. I need to get an air fryer STAT! These look and sound amazing!
I don't have an air fryer but after seeing you can make potatoes like this, I'm adding it to my Christmas list! Love you are using dill in your sour cream, yum!
First time air frying a potato! WHy did it take me so long?? TY
This is such a great idea! I would not have thought to make baked potatoes in my air fryer, thanks for sharing! I will be making these next week,