This Three Cheese Pepperoni Bread recipe (also known as pepperoni stromboli) is easy to make as you put it together with pizza or bread dough. I love serving this stuffed bread as an appetizer on holidays, game days and on New Year's Eve. It's a perfect party food but also a great lunch or snack. Paired with a soup or salad, it's a great weeknight dinner.
What is Pepperoni Bread?
Pepperoni Bread is pizza or bread dough rolled and stuffed with pepperoni and cheese. It also can be called a pepperoni stromboli. This long roll gets brushed with olive oil and Italian seasoning. It is baked in the oven on a large baking pan until it is golden brown.
There is nothing like having a slice of pepperoni bread as the outside is crusty and the inside is doughy, cheesy and filled with savory slices of pepperoni. I like to serve my stuffed bread cut in slices and with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
Pepperoni bread can be served at room temperature which makes it great finger food to serve at a party . I usually put out a plate while it's warm from the oven but it can sit out for an hour or two with no worries. It's the perfect appetizer and also a great recipe to make and bring to a potluck dinner ..
Store bought pizza or bread dough can be used in this recipe and it is really a good option to make things easy. But if you like making your own pizza dough from scratch then of course you can use that. This is a family favorite appetizer and I love how easy it is to make.
- Pizza or Bread Dough – make homemade pizza dough or purchase storebought dough from the grocery store or a local pizza shop. You can also use frozen bread dough.
- Flour – You will just need enough to dust the counter or your work surface.
- Pepperoni – Choose bagged or deli sliced pepperoni or go with turkey pepperoni for something a little leaner.
- Cheese – sliced provolone cheese, sliced mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese make this the cheesiest pepperoni stromboli. Substitute your favorites such as provel or white American cheese as desired.
- Olive Oil – Or use your favorite light, neutral flavored oil.
- Italian Seasoning – Usually a blend of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram.
See the recipe card below for exact measurements and instructions.
How to Make Pepperoni Stromboli
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangle and top with an even layer of pepperoni to within a half inch of the edges. Top with provolone and mozzarella cheese the sprinkle with parmesan.
- Beginning with the longest edge, roll dough into a thin cylinder and seal the seam. Brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with a small amount of Italian seasoning.
- PLace carefully on prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool then cut into slices with a sharp knife before serving with a side of marinara sauce.
- A Lighter Version – Use low fat cheese and turkey pepperoni for a leaner, lighter version.
- Swap The Cheese – Use white American cheese, provolone, swiss cheese or your favorite pizza blend.
- Make it Spicy – Add red pepper flakes or spicy pepperoni. Serve with a spicy sauce for even more heat.
- Swap The Meat – Stuffed bread can be made with any meat. Try using ham, salami or turkey.
- Add A Topping – Brush the stromboli with a quick egg wash and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning blend, sesame seeds or a teaspoon of garlic powder.
Storing and Leftovers
Leftover pepperoni bread can also be stored in your refrigerator for 3 or 4 days in plastic wrap or foil and I often reheat slices of it for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
Can you freeze Pepperoni Bread?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze it! Just make sure it is wrapped tightly. I wrap it in aluminum foil then put it in a freezer bag or airtight container.
I usually make two stuffed breads at a time and one goes in the freezer for later. To reheat the pepeproni stromboli, just defrost it overnight in the refrigerator then heat it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. If you keep it wrapped in foil in the oven, the inside should stay nice and soft.
- Let your pizza or bread dough sit out on the counter for 60 minutes. This will make more pliable and easy to work with.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Make sure to prick some holes with a fork in the pepperoni loaf before it goes into the oven. This will insure that steam will escape. If a little cheese oozes out, don't worry. This happens often and all will be fine once the bread cools down.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of red pepper flakes if you like a little spice.
- For best results, cool down your pepperoni stromboli for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with your favorite pizza sauce for dipping.
What to Serve with Pepperoni Bread
Pepperoni stuffed bread is a fun recipe to serve as a game day appetizer and makes a good finger food when served with other appetizers. You can turn pepperoni stromboli into a meal for family pizza night when you serve it with a soup or salad. As I mentioned above, I always serve some marinara sauce for dipping. Here are also several soup and salad dishes to make it a complete dinner.
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts
- Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Walnuts
- Old Fashioned beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- Pesto Minestrone Soup via Swirls of Flavor
- Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup via Everyday Eileen
More Appetizer Recipes and Snacks
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites
- Pinwheel Antipasto Skewers
- Homemade Marinated Olives
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms via Everyday Eileen
- Kalamata Olive Hummus via The Baking Fairy
- Greek Kofta Kabobs
If you like this recipe for Three Cheese Pepperoni Bread, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Three Cheese Pepperoni Bread
- 16 ounce ball of pizza or bread dough
- ¼ cup flour for counter
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 3 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 3 ounces sliced mozarella cheese
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll dough into an approximately 12x18 inch rectangle.
- Layer with pepperoni to within a half inch of the edges. Top with provolone then mozzarella cheese and Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Beginning with the longest edge, roll dough into a thin cylinder and seal seam. Brush with the olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Place on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool then cut into slices with a sharp knife before serving.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.