Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley is pantry friendly so you can make it anytime. Loaded with tender beef, barley and nutrient filled vegetables, this soup is sure to warm you up at lunch or dinner.
One of my favorite foods to make on a snow day is soup. We sure have had lots of snow days this past week so I have been making soup non- stop! This one is a snowed in favorite because I usually have all the ingredients on hand in my panty and freezer. There is no need to run to the store for anything.
This hearty beef vegetable soup is warm, savory and comforting. I always keep some of this vegetable beef soup in the freezer so I can reheat it and have a bowl anytime I want comfort food.
- Stew Meat - I like to use a lean beef cut like top round but chuck has more fat so it's more flavorful. Chuck is usually the least expensive meat also. You could also use sirloin tips or get a small roast and cut it into cubes yourself.
- Beef Broth or Stock - Use your favorite but I recommend a low sodium one so you can control the saltiness in your soup.
- Frozen Vegetables - These are my favorite. I get a blend of peas, corn, green beans and carrots. They keep well in the freezer and are never mushy in the soup. Don't be afraid to use frozen vegetables as they taste as good as fresh in soups and are super healthy.
- Quick Cooking Barley - This barley cooks in 10 to 15 minutes which is fabulous to make beef barley soup. If you can't find this type, you can use regular but make sure to cook it longer according to the package directions.
- Canned Tomato Sauce - I use a plain tomato sauce from a can but you could substitute a cup of fresh chopped tomatoes. You can also use chunky or crushed canned tomatoes. I make homemade air fryer roasted tomatoes and a cup of these are delicious in this soup.
- Olive Oil and Seasonings - Olive oil is my favorite oil to use in most of my cooking but feel free to use canola or another vegetable oil. This beef vegetable soup has basic seasonings like onion and garlic powder, dried parsley and salt and pepper. But use your favorite seasonings if there is something you like more.
Steps to Making Beef Barley Soup
- Brown stew meat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth and tomato sauce. Simmer until the stew meat is tender.
- Add frozen veggies, barley and additional seasonings. Cook on low until veggies and barley are tender.
- Season to taste before serving in bowls.
Tips for Storing and Reheating Soup
- In the fridge, your soup will last 3 to 4 days. But in the freezer, it will be good for up to 6 months. Make sure to keep it in an air tight plastic container.
- From the refrigerator, you could either microwave your soup in a bowl for 2 minutes or pop it back into a pot and heat until simmering.
- If your soup is frozen, there are a few options. First, you could allow it to sit in the fridge overnight to properly thaw, then follow the same instructions listed above.
- If you're in a rush and need the soup to thaw more quickly, you could place it in a warm water bath in its container or use the defrost function of your microwave.
- Finally, you could remove the frozen soup from the container and pop it right into the pot, then heat until it's heated all the way through.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
What goes well with Beef Barley Soup
This soup is a meal in itself so I like to serve it with some bread on the side or a salad. It also pairs well with a simple sandwich or wrap. While it's easy enough to get a delicious loaf of bread or rolls from the bakery, below are a here are some recipes you can easily make to go with the soup.
- Cheese Beer Bread
- Middle Eastern Bread Salad
- Hummus Veggie Wrap
- Quick Dinner Rolls via Honeybunch Hunts
If you like this beef soup recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces beef stew meat
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth or stock (or more if necessary)
- 1 can - 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (10-16 ounce package)
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium and brown meat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low heat for about 40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add frozen veggies and cook for 10 minutes. Add barley, onion powder and garlic powder. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender. If soup is too thick, more broth can be added to thin.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve in bowls.