Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley is pantry friendly so you can make it anytime. Loaded with tender beef, barley and nutrient filled vegetables, this soup is sure to warm you up at lunch or dinner.
One of my favorite foods to make on a snow day is soup. We sure have had lots of snow days this past week so I have been making soup non- stop! This one is a snowed in favorite because I usually have all the ingredients on hand in my panty and freezer. There is no need to run to the store for anything.
This hearty beef vegetable soup is warm, savory and comforting. I always keep some of this vegetable beef soup in the freezer so I can reheat it and have a bowl anytime I want comfort food.
- Stew Meat - I like to use a lean beef cut like top round but chuck has more fat so it's more flavorful. Chuck is usually the least expensive meat also. You could also use sirloin tips or get a small roast and cut it into cubes yourself.
- Beef Broth or Stock - Use your favorite but I recommend a low sodium one so you can control the saltiness in your soup.
- Frozen Vegetables - These are my favorite. I get a blend of peas, corn, green beans and carrots. They keep well in the freezer and are never mushy in the soup. Don't be afraid to use frozen vegetables as they taste as good as fresh in soups and are super healthy.
- Quick Cooking Barley - This barley cooks in 10 to 15 minutes which is fabulous to make beef barley soup. If you can't find this type, you can use regular but make sure to cook it longer according to the package directions.
- Canned Tomato Sauce - I use a plain tomato sauce from a can but you could substitute a cup of fresh chopped tomatoes. You can also use chunky or crushed canned tomatoes. I make homemade air fryer roasted tomatoes and a cup of these are delicious in this soup.
- Olive Oil and Seasonings - Olive oil is my favorite oil to use in most of my cooking but feel free to use canola or another vegetable oil. This beef vegetable soup has basic seasonings like onion and garlic powder, dried parsley and salt and pepper. But use your favorite seasonings if there is something you like more.
Steps to Making Beef Barley Soup
- Brown stew meat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth and tomato sauce. Simmer until the stew meat is tender.
- Add frozen veggies, barley and additional seasonings. Cook on low until veggies and barley are tender.
- Season to taste before serving in bowls.
Tips for Storing and Reheating Soup
- In the fridge, your soup will last 3 to 4 days. But in the freezer, it will be good for up to 6 months. Make sure to keep it in an air tight plastic container.
- From the refrigerator, you could either microwave your soup in a bowl for 2 minutes or pop it back into a pot and heat until simmering.
- If your soup is frozen, there are a few options. First, you could allow it to sit in the fridge overnight to properly thaw, then follow the same instructions listed above.
- If you're in a rush and need the soup to thaw more quickly, you could place it in a warm water bath in its container or use the defrost function of your microwave.
- Finally, you could remove the frozen soup from the container and pop it right into the pot, then heat until it's heated all the way through.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
Spicy lentil Soup with Smoked Chicken Sausage
What goes well with Beef Barley Soup
This soup is a meal in itself so I like to serve it with some bread on the side or a salad. It also pairs well with a simple sandwich or wrap. While it's easy enough to get a delicious loaf of bread or rolls from the bakery, below are a here are some recipes you can easily make to go with the soup.
- Cheese Beer Bread
- Middle Eastern Bread Salad
- Hummus Veggie Wrap
- Quick Dinner Rolls via Honeybunch Hunts
If you like this beef soup recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces beef stew meat
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth or stock (or more if necessary)
- 1 can - 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (10-16 ounce package)
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium and brown meat for about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low heat for about 40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add frozen veggies and cook for 10 minutes. Add barley, onion powder and garlic powder. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender. If soup is too thick, more broth can be added to thin.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve in bowls.
Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes like this one. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
I'm a fan of barley soup, Lisa. This looks awfully good. I hope the snow is gone by tomorrow.
This looks delicious - I really like barley but don't cook with it nearly enough!
Lisa, beef barley soup is a longtime family-fave...truly a meal of a soup.
Lisa- This looks terrific! I have been looking for a beef barley, this sounds wonderful and it looks so delicious, I can not believe the snow this morning either!! Odd, huh?
Mmmm. Looks nice and hearty - perfect for this cold rainy day.
Happy Spring to you too! Love barley soup, I will just minus the beef:)
Time to buy some barley and make the soup--I know what you mean about making soup now that it is 'spring'. New challenge involving PEEPS
Happy Spring to you too Lisa!
I could eat beef barley soup any day of the year. It's never to hot for a bowl full of the stuff. 🙂
You got me with this one. I remember eating this when I was little girl. I have to make this, thanks for posting 🙂
oh, i love beef barley soup. yous looks so delicious! i am definitely going to give it a try 🙂
Now this is a tasty soup that is so rustic and delicious!
Sounds like a perfect meal on those chilly spring days!
This looks so hearty. I love barley soup.
Looks great Lisa! I love any soup that involves barley! Hope it warms up your way 😉
happy spring Lisa! let's hope the warm weather soon follows????
This is delicious looking soup! I 'll have to try this this week as we are expecting some cool, rainy weather.
I can't believe you actually woke up with a dusting of snow! The soup looks hearty and welcoming.
Yummy!! Happy Spring Lisa!
That looks pretty easy to make.
I make soups a lot and have never made this one before. I'm definitely bookmarking it!
Thankfully our first day of snow was met with good weather. However, that could change in two minutes and be faced with a blizzard.
Great comfort food recipe!
I can't believe the weather you've been getting! I feel guilty for actually enjoying our nice weather in FL!
The soup looks and sounds so good, we are having a rainy day today and I would so love some of that soup!
Looks really good. I have not had barley soup in ages....
The Food Hunter
Looks like delicious comfort food to me.
I love barley in a beef stock soup! I need to make this!
Barley soup is one of my favorites. I should make this this week. Looks delicious 🙂
Such a delicious and comforting soup Lisa.
Oh how I wish my hubby liked barley. I love its taste and texture, perfect in soups. Great recipe!
The Blonde Duck
I love beef soup! This looks great!
I love your blog! Feel free to stop by my blog for your awards. Have a great day!
Lisa, I have an award for you to pick up on my blog.
Wow what a gorgeous soup. I love warming, hearty soups like this for family dinners.
I haven't made barley soup in ages - thanks for the recipe!
If I had to pick 3 of my favourite soups, beef/barley would definitely be in that category. It's so hearty and warming and the season doesn't really matter to me.
just wanted to say, THANKS so MUCH for your lovely comment! it made my day!
This looks like the perfect soup for today, because after 2 weeks of warm weather, it's snowing again here. Oh, and I have a cold, so I know this would make me feel a whole lot better.
I love beef barley soup, and I must say yours looks better than any I have ever seen, even my own!
hi! i know this post is super old, but I just wanted to let you know I made it without the beef this weekend and it's making a lovely lunch. I linked to you on the post. http://kitchencanister.blogspot.com/2010/02/vegetable-barley-soup.html
I am going to make this tomorrow, it sounds perfect!
Great share, thanks for your time
It looks good
This soup is so delicious. I have shared this recipe with family and friends because I think it is that good, Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.
Looks so hearty, comforting and delicious. A perfect soup for any day.
You really can't go wrong with soup for this season! Love a savory bowl of soup to comfort me with all the delicious beef in it!
This is a proper soup, I love the addition of stewing beef, the flavours it adds and also filling enough for a dinner time soup.
Yum! Loved how fast this recipe was to make! It was even better reheated the next day too!
This soup was so comforting....made for a perfect Fall weekend dinner and (great leftovers too!)
Great recipe! I loved every spoonful!
Thanks Allessandra! One of my favorite soups!
This was super easy and very flavorful I loved it I did add two 8 oz cans of tomato sauce instead of one and just a teaspoon of that better than bouillon beef and it came out so good
Great idea if you like it with an extra tomato flavor. Thanks for the review and your input!