This simple and tasty Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts is the perfect side salad or meatless main dish. Already cooked Trader Joe beets saves me time in making this delicious salad but feel free to roast your own too.
After all my indulgences lately (I can eat a lot of ice cream), I need to add lots of healthy ingredients to my diet. This salad with beets is the perfect salad to do that.
Beet Goat Cheese Walnut Salad
Beet salad with goat cheese is creamy and flavorful. The walnuts add the perfect amount of crunch and a bit more protein so the salad is filling. This salad is perfect for lunch or even as a meatless dinner.
Beets are the flavorful star of this salad. I love beets, however, I am not a big fan of roasting them. The staining red color makes me nervous. No problem, I just buy these from Trader Joe's. They are already steamed but have no added preservatives. I love the convenience of Trader Joe beets!
Of course, you are welcome to roast beets if you are so inclined. You can even use canned beets, but make sure to drain them well and pickled beets are also a possibility but they have a strong flavor so you may not need as much of the dressing. Trader Joe beets really make my life easier so I typically use them!
Goat cheese is creamy and crumbly and has a tangy, earthy flavor. It has less lactose than other cheeses and is considered more nutrient-dense than cow's milk cheese so it's not quite as indulgent as you may think. It's a great choice for salad as is often paired with beets.
How to Toast Walnuts for Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Toasted walnuts are the perfect way to add a bit of healthy crunch to this beet salad with goat cheese. They are full of heart-healthy fats, full of flavor, and loaded with antioxidants.
To make toasting walnuts easy, I just put them in a small nonstick pan with low heat for a few minutes. No need to turn the oven on! Since you are using a non stick pan, no oil or fat is required. Just make sure to keep the heat on low and watch closely. You don't want to burn the walnuts.
Easy Steps to Making Beet Salad
- Toast Walnuts (See above).
- Tossed the greens with the other ingredients, gave the salad a light drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Easy, right?!
- Enjoy this healthy salad!
Entrees that go with Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
- Spaghetti with Turkey Bolognese
- Pan Seared Scallops with Brown Butter Beer Sauce
- Low Carb Keto Eggplant Casserole
- Kofta Kabobs made with Ground Veal
More Beet Salad Recipes
- Garbanzo Beans and Beet Salad
- Arugula Salad with Beets and Fennel
- Sunshine Spiralized Beet Salad via Strength in Sunshine
- Moroccan Beet Salad via Simply Stacy
If you like this beet and goat cheese salad, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces
- 6 ounces baby salad greens or mesclun mix
- 8 ounces of roasted or cooked beets sliced
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 to 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 to 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Toast the walnuts in a small nonstick pan for a few minutes.
- Toss together the salad greens, beets, goat cheese and walnuts.
- Drizzle some olive oil and vinegar on the salad to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
First Published September 2010 ; Last Updated June 2021
Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes like this one. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Goat cheese & beets is just such a great combination
I can understand the guilt. I was eating lots n lots of food last 2 weekends and this salad is something I can count on now. Love TJ's products.
The Japanese Redneck
I'm not sure that I like beets. Wish we had a Trader Joe's around here.....
The Food Hunter
I've bought those beets from Trader Joe's they make salads like this one easy to put together.
I have never seen those beets. I love beets, too, but the red is really annoying.
I love everything about this salad!
I love the flavors and textures in this beautiful salad! Nicely done.
What a delicious, healthy salad. I actually love beets and now I will be craving them until I can find some. I am also jealous of your vacation. Wild horses on the beach? How wonderful!