Make this Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich with your holiday ham leftovers or use deli ham. Either way, it's delicious!
Start with a Holiday Dinner Ham
A beautiful ham is a must have on my holiday dinner table. But as much as my family loves the meal, I also look forward to the ham leftovers. The ham is full of flavor and I enjoy creating new meals the next few days. A 3LB dinner ham is the perfect size to feed my family plus I have extra to make this Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich recipe another night that week.
This time I glazed my holiday ham with some Dijon mustard and Maple syrup for a little extra flavor. A large ham is so good that not much is needed as it goes in the oven to bake. The glaze was a perfect match for ham to be added to sandwiches the next day.
How to Make a Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches with leftover ham are super easy to make!
I quickly saute thin chicken cutlets in a pan and I slice the ham as thin as I can to make these sandwiches. After cooking the chicken, it gets piled on a ciabata roll along with the ham. Top it off with swiss cheese then grill this sammy in a pan. Make sure to use a bit of butter so that the sandwich gets crispy and golden on the outside.
If you prefer mayonnaise or mustard on your sandwich, go ahead and slather it on the bread. I like mine with a light coating but use as much or as little as you want.
These sandwiches are perfect for lunch or dinner the next day.
What else can you make with ham leftovers?
There are so many great things to make with leftover ham. Leftover ham works for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Eggs and French toast are always better with a side of ham next to your breakfast. Leftover ham is also great with eggs and cheese on a breakfast sandwich too.
My son is a big fan of leftover ham so I can always find something to make him as long as it goes with some bread. He is a big sandwich guy. I also like my ham chopped in a big salad at for lunch.
If you served a bone- in ham at your dinner, the leftover bone is a perfect way to make a Ham Bone Soup recipe or stock to keep in the freezer. Ham is so versatile and my leftover ham ideas are endless!
More Recipes for Leftover Ham
- Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham
- Ham and Asparagus Bread Pudding
- Tortellini with Ham and English Peas
- Pasta Fagioli Soup (EASY and QUICK version)
- Honey Butter and Ham Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches via This Farm Girl Cooks
What's your favorite way to use leftover ham? There are so many. I would love to get some of your ideas for my next ham dinner! Please leave your favorites in the comments.
If you like this Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches with Hatfield Ham
- 2 thin sliced chicken cutlets
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices leftover ham
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 focaccia rolls
- 2 tablespoons mayonaisse or dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle the chicken cutlets with the seasoned salt.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until the outside is golden brown and the inside is no longer pink. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the ham slices and cook for a few minutes until it turns slightly golden, turning once. Remove ham from the pan.
- Cut the rolls in half and spread each half with mayonnaise or mustard, depending on your liking. Add evenly divided amounts of chicken, ham and swiss cheese to 2 roll halves. Cover the sandwiches with the remaining pieces of bread.
- Wipe out the pan then melt the butter on medium high heat. Add sandwiches and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Sandwiches can be pressed down with a pot lid if desired to make them like paninis.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan and cut in half before serving.
First published December 2018; Updated December 2020
OMG these sandwiches look like heaven!!
I have never tried this brand. I will look for it in my local stores. The photography is amazing..it makes me want a sandwich now! Love the recipe. I'm always looking for creative inspiration for holiday leftovers. I am hoping they have it - especially with a coupon! Thanks for sharing!
We're picking up a Hatfield Ham for Christmas this year, too. I NEVER would have thought to make those sandwiches. They would make a PERFECT post-Christmas meal!
I love Christmas hams and Hatfield Holiday Ham looks really delicious I don't mind having letovers to eat over and over.
This might be the best sandwich I have seen all week! Unfortunately I don't have any leftover ham this holiday, but I know that I will over Christmas!! I have got to try this out!
SUCH a brilliant way to use up leftovers, my family are bowled over by being served a 'Cordon Bleu' sandwich!
Fabulous sandwich and a great way to use up leftover ham. I love holiday hams since it's such a versatile ingredient. There are so many ways to use up everything, including the bone for stock. Nothing goes to waste in our house.
This is PERFECT for leftover ham. Great flavors and I can't wait to make again with leftover Christmas ham!
These sandwiches were amazing and although I couldn't find Hatfield Ham, I used what I could find locally. My family loved these sandwiches and we will be making them again after Christmas with the leftover ham.