This post and Strawberry Avocado Salad Recipe is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
This salad is a bowl of freshness and highlights sweet Florida strawberries. It’s perfect as a vegetarian main dish or side to your favorite dinner.
It’s been cold in NJ lately. Really, really cold. It’s the type of weather that makes you want to stay indoors and hibernate. Or go to warm weather places like Florida. Unfortunately I have no plans for a trip to Florida in the next month. So instead I’ll have to bear the cold and try to keep warm. Luckily, my grocery stores carry Florida strawberries. I have been buying them like crazy and dreaming about warm weather. This strawberry avocado salad is healthy and reminds me that eventually I will be outside basking in the warmer weather again.
When is Florida strawberry peak season?
The Florida strawberry peak season is from December to April. That is perfect timing because this is when I need my vitamin C the most. Florida strawberries are filled with vitamin C. Eight medium size strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange. Eating strawberries is a delicious way to ward off all those winter colds.
I love that Florida strawberries are so portable. I buy several containers at the beginning of the week and have them to eat all week long. They are great healthy snacks for my family to take to school or work. I usually have a small bowl of them on my desk mid- afternoon as they are easy to snack on while I am working on my computer. I wash and remove their caps on the day I am using them. They keep much better in the refrigerator this way.
One serving of Florida strawberries contains only 45 calories. So bring on the strawberries! I did some serious indulging the whole month of December with very little gym time. Now it’s time for me to get serious with exercise and eating right. Strawberries are definitely part of my healthy eating plan. I love them as snacks, in cereal or oatmeal, layered in yogurt parfaits and especially in salads. They are really good on skewers too!
This Strawberry Avocado Salad is my “go to” lunch lately. When I go to the gym late morning, I want something fresh when I get home. The sweet, juicy strawberries pair well with the earthy avocado, creamy mozzarella cheese and crunchy walnuts. The balsamic basil dressing ties everything together and brings out the extra sweetness of the strawberries. This salad is loaded with good fats and keeps me satisfied until dinner. This salad can also be served at dinner next to chicken, fish or beef.
Take a look at all the other healthy strawberry recipes below from the Sunday Supper tastemakers this week. Also, check out the Florida Strawberry website as well as all their social media channels for great tips, recipes and nutrition information.
Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Walnuts #SundaySupper
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 heaping Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces baby greens or Mesclun salad mix
- 1 large avocado peeled, pit removed and chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls cut in half
- 2 cups strawberries cored and halved or quartered
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, water and basil until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set dressing aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together greens, avocado and mozzarella balls with half the dressing. Place salad mixture in a shallow bowl or on a platter
- Arrange strawberries on top of salad and drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Healthy Family Recipes Using Strawberries
Healthy Strawberry Appetizers
- Chicken and Strawberry Caprese Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Avocado Pinwheels by Helpful Homemade
- Strawberry Avocado Toast by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Balsamic Flatbread by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Shrimp Ceviche Cocktail by Soulfully Made
Healthy Strawberry Salads
- Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Walnuts by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Strawberry Chicken Spinach Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Strawberry Pasta Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Feta Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Spinach Feta Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Wild Rice Salad with Strawberries by Sunday Supper Movement
Healthy Strawberry Main Dishes
- Chicken with Strawberry Satay Sauce by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Rotisserie Chicken Strawberry Pizza by Go Epicurista
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken by Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Glazed Salmon by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Healthy Strawberry Desserts
- Chamomile Strawberry Chia Pudding by Mid-Life Croissant
- Frozen Strawberry Chocolate Yogurt Bark by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Paleo Strawberry Cobbler by Pies and Plots
- Strawberry Oatmeal Bars by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Pavlova with Coconut Cream by Recipes Food and Cooking
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.