This strawberry avocado salad is a bowl of freshness and highlights sweet Florida strawberries. It’s perfect as a vegetarian main dish or side to your favorite dinner.
It’s been cold in NJ lately. Really, really cold. It’s the type of weather that makes you want to stay indoors and hibernate. Or go to warm weather places like Florida. Unfortunately I have no plans for a trip to Florida in the next month. So instead I’ll have to bear the cold and try to keep warm. Luckily, my grocery stores carry Florida strawberries. I have been buying them like crazy and dreaming about warm weather. This strawberry avocado salad is healthy and reminds me that eventually I will be outside basking in the warmer weather again.
When is Florida strawberry peak season?
The Florida strawberry peak season is from December to April. That is perfect timing because this is when I need my vitamin C the most. Florida strawberries are filled with vitamin C. Eight medium size strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange. Eating strawberries is a delicious way to ward off all those winter colds. Strawberries have lots of good nutritional benefits.
I love that strawberries are so portable. I buy several containers at the beginning of the week and have them to eat all week long. They are great healthy snacks for my family to take to school or work. I usually have a small bowl of them on my desk mid- afternoon as they are easy to snack on while I am working on my computer. I wash and remove their caps on the day I am using them. They keep much better in the refrigerator this way.
One serving of Florida strawberries contains only 45 calories. So bring on the strawberries! I did some serious indulging the whole month of December with very little gym time. Now it’s time for me to get serious with exercise and eating right. Strawberries are definitely part of my healthy eating plan. I love them as snacks, in cereal or oatmeal, layered in yogurt parfaits and especially in salads. They are really good on skewers too!
This Strawberry Avocado Salad is my “go to” lunch lately. When I go to the gym late morning, I want something fresh when I get home. The sweet, juicy strawberries pair well with the earthy avocado, creamy mozzarella cheese and crunchy walnuts. The balsamic basil dressing ties everything together and brings out the extra sweetness of the strawberries. This salad is loaded with good fats and keeps me satisfied until dinner. This salad can also be served at dinner next to chicken, fish or beef.
More Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Double Strawberry Muffins
- Strawberry Feta Skewers with Basil
- Strawberry Pancakes Via Florida Strawberry Growers Association
Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 heaping Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces baby greens or Mesclun salad mix
- 1 large avocado peeled, pit removed and chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls cut in half
- 2 cups strawberries cored and halved or quartered
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, water and basil until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set dressing aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together greens, avocado and mozzarella balls with half the dressing. Place salad mixture in a shallow bowl or on a platter
- Arrange strawberries on top of salad and drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with walnuts.