If you've ever found yourself craving the irresistible flavor of buffalo chicken wings but wanted something a little more shareable (or dippable, in this case), then you are in for a treat! Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip without Cream Cheese is bursting with flavor, low in carbs and will be a big hit at your next party or game day gathering.
I love hosting friends and family for gatherings, whether it's game day, a picnic or a holiday party. Of course, family gatherings are not complete without loads of delicious food and when it comes to cooking, it's my time to shine. Buffalo wings are always a big hit at parties but the long cooking time means I spend more time in the kitchen than I do with my friends. I do love to cook but I also don't want to miss out on the party.
This baked Buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese is more than just a crowd-pleaser; it's an easy recipe but also a party legend in the making. It's all about capturing that classic buffalo wing flavor and transforming it into a gooey, melty, and downright addictive dip.
The fiery kick of hot sauce and the savory goodness of chicken creates a taste explosion that'll have your taste buds doing a touchdown dance and in this recipe – no cream cheese needed! And it's made with simple ingredients that you get right at your local grocery store. It's the perfect appetizer for football season.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream adds creaminess and tanginess to the dip. If you prefer a lighter option, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for a similar texture and tangy flavor.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise contributes to the creaminess and richness of the dip. If you'd like a lighter option, you can use a light or reduced-fat mayonnaise without compromising too much on flavor and texture.
- Ranch Dressing – Ranch dressing adds a delightful herby flavor and creaminess. You can make your own ranch dressing from scratch or use a store-bought version.
- Buffalo Bauce: Buffalo sauce such as Frank's Hot Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce) is the star of the show, bringing that signature spicy kick. You can adjust the amount of buffalo sauce to your desired level of heat.
- Cheese – Shredded sharp cheddar cheese is what gives the dip its gooey, cheesy goodness. You can experiment with different cheese varieties like Monterey Jack, mozzarella cheese, or even a spicy pepper jack to customize the flavor.
- Chicken – Shredded chicken is a crucial component, adding protein and that classic buffalo chicken flavor. You can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, leftover grilled chicken, or even canned chicken for convenience.
- Blue Cheese – Blue cheese crumbles provide a distinctive sharp and tangy flavor. If you're not a fan of blue cheese, you can substitute it with crumbled feta, goat cheese, or even extra shredded cheddar for a milder taste.
- Green Onions – Green onions (also known as scallions) add a fresh, mild onion flavor and a pop of color. You can replace them with chopped chives or even diced red onions for a different flavor profile.
See recipe card below for exact quantities and nutritional information.
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch dressing. Add buffalo sauce and 1 cup shredded cheese. Stir again.
2. Mix in the shredded chicken. Add ¼ cup blue cheese and ¼ cup green onions.
3. Stir again and transfer mixture to a 9x9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining blue cheese and green onions on top before serving. Serve with chips, crackers or carrot sticks and celery sticks.
Hint: Leftover rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe. Remove the chicken from the bones and toss it into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. You'll have shredded chicken in less than 30 seconds.
- Make It EXTRA Spicy - Add diced jalapeños, green chilies, or even chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for an extra kick of heat. You can also incorporate some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for even more spice.
- More Blue Cheese - If you love blue cheese, you can swap the ranch dressing for blue cheese dressing for a richer, tangier flavor.
- An Assortment of Dippables – Serve the dip with a variety of dippables such as tortilla chips, pretzel crisps, pita chips, or even mini slider buns for a buffalo chicken sandwich twist. Offer a selection of fresh veggies like bell pepper strips, cucumber slices, or cherry tomatoes for a healthier alternative.
- Top It Off – Customize your toppings with diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, or crumbled bacon for added flavor and texture. Drizzle some extra buffalo sauce on top for a visually appealing and spicier finish.
- Diet-Friendly – This dip is naturally gluten free, low in carbs and high in protein. You can make a healthy Buffalo chicken dip by using light and reduced fat cheese, sour cream and mayo.
Refrigerate the leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave.
Freezing this dip is possible but the consistency may change slightly. For the best results, freeze the unbaked dip. Bake from frozen allowing for extra time due to the dip being frozen.
- To save time, use precooked chicken. Rotisserie chicken or leftover grilled chicken. Shred the chicken into small pieces for even distribution in the dip.
- Place cooked chicken into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. You'll have shredded chicken in less than 30 seconds.
- Customize the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of buffalo sauce. If you prefer milder heat, use less sauce; for a spicier kick, add more.
- Don't forget to divide the cheese. Having it within the dip mixture and on top creates a luscious, melty cheese layer both inside and on the surface.
- Ensure all the ingredients are evenly mixed. No one wants to scoop up a bite with all the heat or all the cheese in one mouthful!
- The dip is ready when it's bubbly around the edges and the top turns a golden brown color. Keep an eye on it, as oven times may vary.
- Offer a variety of dippers, such as tortilla chips, crackers, breadsticks, or fresh veggies, to cater to different preferences.
- Garnish the finished dip with chopped green onions, chunks of blue cheese, a drizzle of buffalo sauce, or fresh herbs for a visually appealing presentation.
- If you have leftovers, reheat portions in the oven or microwave, adding a touch of milk or cream if needed to restore creaminess.
- You can prepare the dip ahead of time and refrigerate it before baking. This allows the flavors to meld together, making it even tastier.
- Don't be afraid to experiment with different cheeses, spices, or additional ingredients to make the dip your own. It's a versatile recipe that welcomes creativity.
- If you need a great recipe for chicken try one of these. The leftovers are perfect for this dip recipe:
Yes! Prepare the dip in advance and store it in the refrigerator before baking. Pop it in the oven just before you're ready to serve.
Canned chicken is a quick and easy alternative. Just make sure to drain and shred the canned chicken before adding it to the dip mixture.
To reduce the spiciness, use less buffalo sauce or opt for a milder variety. You can also balance the heat with more sour cream or mayonnaise to cool it down.
This dip is naturally gluten free. Just be sure to serve it with veggies or gluten free chips or crackers for dipping.
The best thing about this baked buffalo chicken dip is that it's incredibly versatile. Serve with chips, crackers or cut veggies, but don't stop there. The leftovers also make a great sandwich filling for sliders or tortillas. I love eating it like that for lunch the next day.
Serve it with these other favorite appetizers of mine and you have a party!
- Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- How to Make a Vegan Charcuterie Board
- Healthier Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Pepperoni Bread - Made with Pizza or Bread Dough
If you like this Baked Buffalo chicken dip without cream cheese recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
The Best Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup blue cheese divided
- ½ cup chopped green onions divided
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, and ranch dressing. Add buffalo sauce and 1 cup shredded cheese. Stir again. Mix in the shredded chicken. Add ¼ cup blue cheese and ¼ cup green onions.
- Stir again and transfer mixture to a 9x9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining blue cheese and green onions on top before serving. Serve with chips, crackers or carrots and celery.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.