Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings is a delicious meatless snack that's perfect for game day and will be enjoyed by vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.
Vegetarian Game Day Snacks Meat-lovers Will Enjoy
Let's just pretend for a few minutes that you did not hear the word cauliflower.
Now, let's talk about game day food. You're probably thinking pizza, chili, hoagies, French fries, chicken wings and tacos. Most of what you are picturing probably contains meat. Should I mention more? These are all the things my husband and many others would want while watching the big game. And my husband is very lucky (and he knows it) because I will be in the kitchen making those things.
I used to watch every minute of every football game when I was younger. But now I prefer to be in the kitchen if my team is not in the big game. Hanging with friends is good, too. I just don't have the need to watch every minute of the Super Bowl anymore. It really helps that I have an open kitchen where I can see the TV and cook at the same time.
Now let me get back to the cauliflower.
That's not something you would expect to eat during a football game. Actually, my husband and son would not want to eat cauliflower while watching any sport. They usually ask for Crispy Buffalo Wings or Buffalo Chicken Flatbread. But when they tried this Buffalo Cauliflower they liked it. In fact, I think they like it more than they care to admit.
What Are Cauliflower Wings?
I kept seeing baked buffalo cauliflower "wings" all over the internet and thought I should try some. My husband thinks calling baked cauliflower "wings" is misleading, but I think it's perfectly fine.
Cauliflower is cut into pieces, battered and baked in the oven until it is golden and crispy. The pieces are tossed with a yummy Buffalo sauce and the end result is flavor cauliflower that really does resemble traditional buffalo wings.
I am not trying to trick anyone but just want to share my love of this good cauliflower.
This was a hit at dinner last night. The husband ate half a plate and proclaimed that he couldn't believe how good it was. I'm still working on getting my non- vegetable- eating son to take a few bites. But you know teenage boys!
Ingredients In Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Cauliflower - One medium-sized head washed and cut into pieces.
- Skim milk - You can use 2% or whole milk but we usually have skim milk on hand.
- Hot sauce - Look for a buffalo-style sauce rather than Tabasco.
- Garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Melted butter
- Honey or agave syrup - Agave is usually available in the baking aisle near the sugar.
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing - Homemade or storebought.
How to Make Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
These vegetarian buffalo wings can be made to look a little similar to Buffalo wings (even though I am not trying to trick anyone), by cutting the head of cauliflower into florets that are a little bigger than bite-size. They should be big enough to dip in ranch or blue cheese dressing.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower.
- In a large bowl combine milk, flour, hot sauce, garlic powder and salt.
- Dip the cauliflower in the batter then place it on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 minutes (turn halfway through cooking time) until the cauliflower is crispy. Cooking time can vary a little. I like mine very crunchy so sometimes I hit the broil button of my oven for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Melt butter, remaining hot sauce and honey (or agave) in a dish.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and toss it with the butter mixture before serving with your favorite dipping sauce.
If you like Buffalo Sauce, you'll love these other game day recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread with Bacon
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Shrimp Dip via Spicy Southern Kitchen
- Loaded Buffalo Tots via a Flavor Journal
More Vegetarian Game Day Snacks
- Steamed Edamame with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Homemade Truffle Parmesan Popcorn
- Sweet Sriracha Almonds
Now don't get me wrong as I am not serving this to a bunch of football watching fans instead of wings or meat. But it is nice to have a lighter appetizer that consists of vegetables. It is especially good for my vegetarian friends that will be watching the game.
Now go buy a nice head of cauliflower and try some Baked Buffalo Cauliflower. I think you are going to like it!
If you like this Cauliflower Buffalo Wing Recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Recipe
- one medium size head of cauliflower
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup hot pepper sauce plus 2 tablespoons divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel any outside leaves off of cauliflower, wash and cut into pieces (a little bigger than bite size)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, 2 Tablespoons hot pepper sauce (reserve rest for later), flour, garlic powder and salt.
- Add cauliflower and mix until all pieces are well coated.
- Spay a large baking sheet pan with cooking spray. Remove cauliflower with slotted spoon or tongs and place in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cauliflower is crispy. Turn once so in the middle of baking so both sides are crispy. Broiler can also be turned on for last few minutes of cooking for extra crispy cauliflower.
- While cauliflower is baking, mix together melted butter, remaining ½ cup of hot sauce and honey (or agave).
- Toss cauliflower with sauce when it comes out of the oven. Serve immediately with dressing.
First Published February 2017 ; Last Updated March 2021