These Rosemary Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce are an easy and delicious way to feed the whole family!
How to choose the best ingredients:
For the chicken thighs, it’s of course important to look at the “best by” date, but also pay attention to the color.
- Your chicken should be a nice, healthy pink hue.
- For the amount of chicken, this recipe calls for whole thighs, so it’s best to buy only as much as you’ll need for these mushroom chicken thighs. If you have to buy more but don’t plan on using the excess chicken right away, you can store it in the freezer for up to nine months.
- If you’re storing chicken in the fridge, you should try to use it within 1 to 2 days.
For your mushrooms, here are some tips for choosing them.
- Try giving them a little poke–it’s best to choose mushrooms that are a bit firm and have a fairly uniform, smooth appearance.
- The mushrooms should be dry but not dried out or tough.
- Mushrooms should be stored in the fridge–in their original packaging if possible–for up to a week.
- You may want to clean them before cooking by simply rinsing them with some cool water and patting them dry. This guide from The Mushroom Council has some more information about selecting and storing mushrooms.
What sides go with these mushroom chicken thighs?
- In the spring and summer, some Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest is a delicious and refreshing side.
- During the cooler months, try this recipe for Mini Parmesan Truffle Hasselback Potatoes to provide a sophisticated and hearty addition to the meal.
- Or, if you want to carry the mushrooms through to your side, you could try this Mushroom Rice Pilaf from A Spicy Perspective.
- To make dinner super simple, just add a baked potato and some cherry tomatoes. You don’t even have to worry about other recipes.
Why use chicken thighs rather than chicken breasts?
Tips for Leftovers and Reheating
- Leftovers can be stored for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- If you want to freeze the leftovers, let the dish cool completely and place the food in an airtight container. You can store for up to 3 months this way.
- Thaw frozen mushroom chicken thighs in the refrigerator overnight.
- To reheat, microwave until hot or place in the oven at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
First Published January 2009; Updated October 2020
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below!
Rosemary Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- 1 Teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 8 Ounces baby bella mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups low sodium chicken broth
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat olive oil to medium heat.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper on chicken.
- Brown chicken for 5 to 10 minutes or until brown.
- Add wine to deglaze pan. Add rosemary, mushrooms and broth.
- Bring heat to low and simmer covered for about 40 minutes or until chicken is very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.