Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes need less oil to cook up crispy skin on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. This simple side dish takes almost no effort and the results are so yummy. You are going to love these 3 ingredient air fryer roasted sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes get all the glory during the holidays but are often overlooked during the rest of the year. And that's too bad because air fryer roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect balance between sweet and savory and can be served with just about any meal.
Lately, I've been making air fryer baked sweet potatoes once a week and I'm so glad I have been. My family loves the change from white potatoes and they are so simple to make. Plus, sweet potatoes have some great health benefits. These orange delights are loaded with beta carotene and other nutrients. They are high in potassium, vitamin E, vitamin C, and when you eat them with the skin on, provide a great source of fiber.
I love making air fryer recipes and this healthy side dish recipe is no exception. The delicious sweet potatoes take less time than they would take to bake in a regualr oven and are the best way to make them. Air frying is a great way to make them if you want to save on cooking time.
- Whole Sweet Potatoes – Choose potatoes that are similar in size for even cooking.
- Olive Oil – You can use your favorite light, neutral flavored oil.
- Salt – Coarse kosher salt is my go to!
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Scrub the potatoes to clean them and remove any dirt. Be sure to dry them well as we want roasted sweet potatoes not steamed sweet potatoes.
- Poke the potatoes several times with the tines of a fork. This allows the steam to escape as they cook.
- Brush the surface of the potatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the potatoes onto the air fryer basket or rack and space them out evenly.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes at 400 degrees F or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
One of my favorite things about sweet potatoes is that they can easily be shifted from sweet to savory just by varying the toppings. With sweet potatoes almost anything goes but here are a few of our favorite toppings.
- Butter – It's hard to imagine any potato without a pat of butter. Ghee is also a great option.
- Cinnamon – Add a hint of warm spice.
- Sugar – Add a little sweetness with some white or brown sugar.
- Maple Syrup/Honey – If you prefer a natural sweetener both honey or a drizzle of maple syrup (the real stuff) are delicious options.
- Sour Cream – Seriously! The combination of sweet potato and sour cream is mighty tasty. Add some chives and a sprinkle of garlic powder to make it pop.
- Chili – I love scooping a big helping of my favorite chili over the top of a crispy air fryer roasted sweet potato.
- Blue Cheese – Top with crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and some honey for an incredible umami experience!
How To Store and Reheat Leftover Baked Sweet Potatoes
Wrap leftover roasted sweet potatoes in foil, plastic wrap or an airtight container. Store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 4 months.
Leftover potatoes can be reheated in the microwave until hot or reheat them in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Leftover baked sweet potatoes can be used in recipes calling for mashed sweet potato or sweet potato puree. Sweet potato gnocchi is one of my favorite recipes for leftover sweet potatoes.
Yes, you can. AFTER prepping the potatoes according to the instructions, place them on a foiled lined baking sheet. Bake them in a 450 degree preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until they are fork tender.
Sweet potatoes are nutritious and taste great. These potatoes are cooked with a small amount of oil which could easily be omitted to make them even better for you if you are watching your fat calories.
Entrees To Serve Sweet Potatoes With
- Panko Pork Chops with Parmesan
- Roaster Slow Cooker Chicken
- Cod Fish and Artichoke Piccata
- Lemon Herb Roasted Cornish Hens
- Shashuka with Feta from Recipes from a Pantry
If you like this Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium size sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Clean and dry the sweet potatoes. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork. Brush each one with olive oil .
- Place sweet potatoes on air fryer rack or pan spread out evenly. Sprinkle with salt.
- Set air fryer at 400 degrees and cook sweet potatoes for 40 to 45 minutes or until fork tender. Carefully remove potatoes and let cook for a few minutes before serving.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.