This easy skillet chicken Parmesan recipe will change the way you think about making it for dinner. This one pan recipe means easy clean up! This crispy chicken parmesan dinner is delcious but convenient.
One Pan Recipes For the Win
My family loves chicken and cheese! We have gone through about 3 to 5 pounds of each per week. No lie! A large majority is consumed by the teen boy (now in college) that lives in the house.
So that might clue you in on why I often make this Skillet Chicken Parmesan one pan recipe. This easy chicken recipe is so good! Simple ingredients create a quick and delicious meal.
And when my son is on dish duty he appreciates the easy clean-up since it's all cooked in one skillet. I get a clean kitchen and he thinks he's beating the system!
- Egg- 1 large egg is all you need.
- Thin sliced chicken cutlets - Thin chicken cutlets can be bought in a package or you can pound them down. If you prefer smaller pieces, you can also use chicken tenders.
- Italian flavored bread crumbs - I love using panko breadcrumbs but you can also use regular ones.
- Parmesan cheese - Use grated or shred your own.
- Olive oil- I like using olive oil but vegetable oil, canola oil or really any light oil will work.
- Marinara sauce - Tomato sauce gives great flavor to the dish. You can also use your favorite jarred pasta sauce or spaghetti sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese - Melted mozzarella makes this dish cheesy and delicious.
- Italian seasoning- Or use another seasoning like garlic powder and oregano.
- Fresh basil or parsley - Dried herbs can be substituted if you don't have fresh.
How to Make Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Prepare the Chicken - Skillet chicken parm starts with chicken cutlets. You can purchase chicken cutlets at the butcher or make them yourself by cutting a chicken breast into two or three pieces, lengthwise, and pounding them thin with a meat mallet. Dip chicken cutlets in the egg mixture in a shallow bowl and coat in the crumb mixture with Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the Chicken - Heat olive oil in a pan or cast iron skillet and then sautee the chicken breasts until they are browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, about 3-5 minutes per side. Place cooked chicken on a plate.
- Add Sauce and Cheese - Pour my 20 minute marinara sauce into the skillet. Add the chicken back into the sauce and top it with shredded mozzarella cheese. I like to put it in the oven on broil for just a few minutes so the cheese gets gooey and golden. For best results, just cover your skillet with a lid for a few minutes and the cheese will melt.
- Serve - Below are some side dishes to go with this chicken recipe.
Side Dish and Salad Serving Suggestions
This Skillet Chicken Parm can be served with garlic bread, pasta, rice, egg noodles, or your choice of a side dish. You could also get some hoagie rolls and have great chicken Parmesan subs. My favorite is to make a simple Caprese salad to have beforehand. Here are a few delicious sides to serve with this one-pan recipe.
- Arugula Salad with Beets and Fennel
- Easy Egg Drop Soup with Orzo
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Pasta Fagioli Soup - (the EASY and QUICK version)
- 10-Minute Lemon Garlic Pasta from Recipes From a Pantry
More One Pan/One Pot Recipes
One pan recipes might be prepared in a single skillet, a single sheet pan, or in a single baking dish. They are appealing because of the idea that there is less mess to clean up. During the week we can all use a little less mess and a little less cleanup. Here are a few more one pan recipes for you to try.
- Dutch Oven Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Easy Kielbasa and Sauerkraut
- Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- Spinach Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese
- Shrimp Linguini with Asparagus - One Pan Recipe
- One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac
- Tenderloin Beef Tips and Mushrooms
- One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl from Number 2 Pencil
Everyone needs a break from extra work now and then. One-pan meals are easy to prepare and save time for whoever is on kitchen duty that night. You're going to love this Skillet Chicken Parmesan.
If you like this Crispy Chicken Parmesan recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Easy Chicken Parmesan Skillet
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ¼ pounds thin sliced chicken cutlets about 6 cutlets
- ½ cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- fresh chopped basil or parsley
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with 3 tablespoons water. Mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each chicken cutlet into the egg mixture then the bread crumb mixture until all are coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large aluminum or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add breaded chicken to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each size or until chicken is golden brown and no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pan and heat on medium until bubbly. Put the chicken back in the pan and cover with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cover with a lid and cook until cheese is melted or put pan in oven on broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with basil or parsley before serving.