This easy skillet chicken Parmesan recipe will change the way you think about making it for dinner. This one pan recipe means easy clean up!
One Pan Recipes For the Win
My family loves chicken and cheese! We have gone through about 3 to 5 pounds of each per week. No lie! A large majority is consumed by the teen boy (now in college) that lives in the house.
So that might clue you in on why I often make this Skillet Chicken Parmesan one pan recipe. It's so easy and good! And when my son is on dish duty he appreciates the easy clean-up since it's all cooked in one skillet. I get a clean kitchen and he thinks he's beating the system!
How to Make Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Prepare the Chicken - Skillet chicken parm starts with chicken cutlets. You can purchase chicken cutlets at the butcher or make them yourself by cutting a chicken breast into two or three pieces, lengthwise, and pounding them thin with a meat mallet. Thin chicken cutlets are dipped in egg and coated in breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook the Chicken - Heat olive oil in a pan and then sautee the chicken breasts until they are browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, about 3-5 minutes per side. Place cooked chicken on a plate.
- Add Sauce and Cheese - Pour my 20 minute marinara sauce into the skillet. Add the chicken back into the sauce and top it with shredded mozzarella cheese. I like to put it in the oven on broil for just a few minutes so the cheese gets gooey and golden. If you want to make things even easier, just cover your skillet with a lid for a few minutes and the cheese will melt. The chicken will be slightly less crispy this way but still delicious.
Yummy Side Dishes and Salads to Serve With This Crispy Chicken Parmesan
This Skillet Chicken Parm can be served with pasta, rice, egg noodles, or your choice of sides. You could also get some hoagie rolls and have great chicken Parmesan subs. My favorite is to make a simple Caprese salad to have beforehand. Here are a few delicious sides to serve with this one-pan recipe.
- Arugula Salad with Beets and Fennel
- Easy Egg Drop Soup with Orzo
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Pasta Fagioli Soup - (the EASY and QUICK version)
- 10-Minute Lemon Garlic Pasta from Recipes From a Pantry
More One Pan/One Pot Recipes
One pan recipes might be prepared in a single skillet, a single sheet pan, or in a single pot. They are appealing because of the idea that there is less mess to clean up. During the week we can all use a little less mess and a little less cleanup. Here are a few more one pan recipes for you to try.
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Old Fashioned Beef Vegetable Soup with Barley
- Spinach Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese
- Shrimp Linguini with Asparagus - One Pan Recipe
- One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac
- One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl from Number 2 Pencil
Everyone needs a break from extra work now and then. One-pan meals are easy to prepare and save time for whoever is on kitchen duty that night. You're going to love this Skillet Chicken Parmesan.
If you like this Crispy Chicken Parmesan recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Easy Chicken Parmesan Skillet
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ¼ pounds thin sliced chicken cutlets about 6 cutlets
- ½ cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- fresh chopped basil or parsley
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with 3 tablespoons water. Mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each chicken cutlet into the egg mixture then the bread crumb mixture until all are coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large aluminum or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add breaded chicken to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each size or until chicken is golden brown and no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pan and heat on medium until bubbly. Put the chicken back in the pan and cover with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cover with a lid and cook until cheese is melted or put pan in oven on broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with basil or parsley before serving.
First Published March 2018; Last Updated February 2021