Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest goes well with beef, pork, poultry or seafood. You'll want to make this lemon asparagus side dish several times a week!
Ahhh, spring is finally here!
Mother nature has really been playing tricks on us and winter has been wearing out her welcome. But it seems like warm weather decided to make its debut this week.
I love the warmer weather, eating dinner outside with a cocktail and having sunlight later in the evening. But I really look forward to spring and summer produce.
Spring Means Asparagus Season!
I love asparagus season!
I'm not sure if it's because I love to eat it or that when those bright green stalks start showing up at the grocery store and markets, I know that spring has sprung. And adding lemon to oven roasted asparagus is the perfect spring dish.
The farmers' markets are about to open for the season and right it's easy to find plenty of good asparagus to make this oven roasted asparagus recipe.
Ingredients Needed For Lemon Asparagus
Aside from salt and pepper, this asparagus side dish requires only 3 ingredients!
- A fresh lemon
- Olive Oil
So.....let's get some fresh asparagus, some olive oil, and a lemon. Make this oven roasted asparagus with lemon zest once and you'll crave it several times a week. I always make extra so I have enough leftovers to make a Turkey and Asparagus Wrap for lunch the next day.
So healthy and good for you.
How To Make Roasted Lemon Asparagus
It really doesn't get any easier. Simply toss everything together on a baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes.
Tips For Buying, Storing and Cooking Asparagus
- Look for asparagus that is firm. If it feels rubbery, is limp and wilted or the tops have gone slimy, don't purchase it.
- Look at the color. Asparagus should be bright green and sometimes even purplish. If the asparagus is more yellow, give it a pass.
- Look at size. Asparagus can be thick or thin and choosing is a matter of personal preference. How you are preparing the asparagus may also be a factor. When looking at a bundle, look for one with similar sized stalks for even cooking.
- Store In the Fridge - I prefer to trim the stalks just a bit and stand them up in a mason jar with about 1 inch of water. They will last 3-4 days or longer.
- Trim Before Cooking - The bottom of asparagus stems are very woody. Trim the woody part off before cooking.
More Asparagus Recipes You'll Love
- Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus with Spicy Ranch Sauce
- Shrimp Linguini with Asparagus - One Pan Recipe
- Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Turkey Wrap Recipe with Asparagus and Balsamic Mayo
- Roasted Asparagus With Eggs
I love asparagus for breakfast also and make it with eggs or with ham in a bread pudding. There are so many good ways to enjoy asparagus.
Main Dishes to Serve with Asparagus
Asparagus is bright and fresh and it's the perfect side dish. Here are a few of our favorite main dish options.
- Panko Pork Chops with Parmesan
- Roaster Slow Cooker Chicken
- Roasted Lemon Salmon Recipe with Dill
- Tenderloin Beef Tips and Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Bone-In Ham from Simply Happy Foodie
Enjoy this oven roasted asparagus and this spring weather!
If you like this Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 medium lemon the juice and zest will be used
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim asparagus and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and the juice from the lemon.Arrange asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet. .Bake for about 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Arrange on a plate and sprinkle with lemon zest.
First Published April 2018 ; Last Updated March 2021
Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes like this one. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Goodness this sounds incredible! I love asparagus, so I'm going to have to make this recipe!!
Oooh this looks so easy but so delish. Will have to try- I have some asparagus in the fridge!
This looks beyond delish! I love asparagus, going to save this recipe. thanks!!
Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome
Asparagous is one of my favourite sides, these look delicious!
Crystal // Dreams, etc.
Asparagus is one of my fave veggies! This sounds delicious and perfect for the spring months!