This Ham and Asparagus Bread Pudding recipe post is sponsored by Farm Promise. As usual, all opinions are my own.
Since my vegetarian daughter went away to college, I have been left alone to cook for two meat eaters, that being my husband and teenage son. While I was grocery shopping at my local ShopRite recently, I purchased Farm Promise, a new product I had not seen before.
I found Farm Promise ham, pork tenderloin, ground pork, baby back ribs and small boneless pork roasts in my local grocery store. I tried the ham, pork tenderloin and made slow cooker pulled pork with a small roast. All were delicious and I haven’t even told you about the best part. This pork is humanely raised on family farms, fed a vegetarian diet, and raised without antibiotics or growth promotants. I feel good about feeding this product to my family knowing that we are eating clean food. Their pork is perfect to feed my two hungry men.
My teenage son would eat ham for every meal if he was allowed. So I decided to come up with a recipe that incorporated his favorite ham into a delicious casserole.
Spring is here and the grocery stores and farmers markets are loaded with asparagus. What could go better with ham than some seasonal spring produce? This Ham and Asparagus Bread Pudding is a casserole that you could make for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You could use the Farm Promise breakfast ham slices or ham steak. Both are perfect for this recipe.
I love making this recipe when we have guests. Spring is the perfect time to have a nice Sunday brunch and this recipe can be put together the night before so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with friends and family. I usually bake a casserole the night before and reheat it right before I’m ready to serve it. It can also be assembled the night before then baked in the morning before your brunch. I am definitely not opposed to having this for dinner either. It’s delicious at any meal!
So let’s get to the recipe. You don’t need many ingredients and you most likely have most of the ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry. I like to make this recipe in layers where I add some ham and bread cubes. I then add the asparagus, pour over the milk and egg mixture, add some more ham and top with cheese. It goes in the oven for about 45 minutes and comes out as a delicious meal.
Ham and Asparagus Bread Pudding
- 16 ounces asparagus
- cooking spray
- 8 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- 12 ounces Farm Promise ham, chopped (2 - 6 ounce packages)
- 12 ounces shredded Provolone cheese
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large frying pan with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and set aside.
- Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix together the bread cubes, half the ham and half the cheese. Spread out on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with asparagus arranging it in a single layer across the dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, half and half, salt, pepper and mustard. Pour the mixture over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle the remaining ham and cheese on top. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top of the casserole is golden brown and a fork inserted in the middle comes out fairly clean.