Mexican Black Beans and Rice with Sausage is a simple dinner loaded with flavor. This easy rice and beans recipe is delicious comfort food!
It's been the usual land of quick dinners at our house. I feel like I have been too repetitive lately with soups and chicken so the other night I decided to look in my pantry and come up with something different.
Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a can of black beans and some stewed tomatoes. I thought about the spicy smoked turkey sausage I had in my fridge and an idea began to form. I always keep rice in my kitchen and that would accompany this dish. The slightly sweet stewed tomatoes would pair perfectly with spicy sausage. I was on my way to making a really flavorful dish.
Ingredients Needed for Black Beans and Rice with Sausage
- Canola oil - Substitute olive oil or vegetable oil if you'd like.
- Chopped Onions - Use red, yellow, white, whatever you have on hand.
- Red Pepper - You could also add jalapeno or poblano peppers for a bit of heat.
- Stewed tomatoes - Fire-roasted diced tomatoes will also work well.
- Sausage - Chorizo is a Mexican sausage which would be great in this dish but any smoked sausage will work. If you want a vegetarian dish you could also use meatless, soy sausage if you like it.
- Fresh cilantro - Leave it out if you are not a fan.
- Black beans - You can also use pinto beans.
- Chili powder - Use your favorite and adjust amount to your taste
- Hot cooked rice - White or Brown. Packets or frozen rice can be used for convenience.
- Hot sauce (to taste)
How To Make This Easy Beans and Rice Recipe
When it comes to making easy dinners, this Mexican beans and rice wins the gold medal. This meal can be cooked in about 20 minutes and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
Here are the basic recipe steps:
- Saute' onions and peppers in a skillet.
- Add in sliced sausage and heat until it begins to brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder and beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
How easy is that?
I got the thumbs up from my family so Black Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage is a quick meal I will be serving often. It is another one of those dishes that can be reheated in the microwave if you want to make it in advance. I think it might even taste better the next day and the leftovers are especially good for lunch.
Bean and rice with smoked sausage is the perfect meal for busy families. It's filling, flavorful and frugal!
More Easy Comfort Food Dinners
- Pasta with Blush Sauce
- One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac
- Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushrooms
- Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Tenderloin Beef Tips and Mushrooms
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese (ONLY 5 ingredients)
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy via Bowl Me Over
If you like this Easy Mexican Beans and Rice recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Smoked Sausage With Black Beans And Rice
- 1 TBS canola oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sized red pepper cored and diced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced I used a spicy turkey sausage
- 1 14.5 ounce can Red Pack or Red Gold stewed tomatoes
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups hot cooked rice I use brown rice
- hot sauce to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until wilted.
- Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes or until it is starting to brown.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder and beans to the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Mix in chopped cilantro right before it is done cooking.
- Serve with rice and hot sauce to taste.
If you want more easy dinner ideas, check out my list of 25 last minute dinner recipes!