Repurpose your leftover pasta by making this Pan Fried Leftover Spaghetti recipe. It's one of those dinner dishes that tastes even better the second time around!
I grew up in a household that never wasted food. Now that I have my own family, I repurpose dinner leftovers all the time. In fact, I take pride in the fact that a leftover dinner can be even better the next day. This Italian spaghetti recipe is a perfect example.
This dinner brings back memories of eating leftover spaghetti at my Nana's house. We ate spaghetti at almost every Sunday dinner and then sometime during the week she pan fried up the leftovers. Once you make this fried leftover spaghetti, you will make sure to cook extra pasta every time you make an Italian pasta dinner. Trust me on this!
- Leftover spaghetti with sauce - Boil some spaghetti and add sauce if you want to start without leftovers.
- seasonings - dried basil and crushed pepper is my choice but you can always add Italian seasoning, garlic powder or anything you like to spice things up.
- grated Parmesan cheese -feel free to substitute another hard Italian cheese like Romano or Asiago.
- shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Fry Leftover Spaghetti
- Melt butter in a non- stick pan.
- Add leftover spaghetti, seasonings, and half of the Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Cook until mixture starts to slightly bubble. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with lid or aluminum foil loosely and cook for a few more minutes or until cheese melts on top.
Best Part of Fried Spaghetti
This fried spaghetti is cheesy but the edges of the spaghetti are crispy. The cheese also creates yummy pieces of browned cheese. I can't get enough of them in my bowl. The larger the pan you use, the more surface area to create those browned bits of goodness. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
Not a problem. Just boil some spaghetti and toss it with marinara sauce. Now you have leftover spaghetti and it is ready to fry!
Use whatever you have leftover. This recipe is very forgiving and the amount of other ingredients can be eyeballed and adjusted.
Start out with 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter for about 2 to 3 servings of spaghetti. You can add a bit more butter if you have more leftovers. The amount of cheese you add is up to you. You can start with a small amount and add as you go along. Although my motto is the more cheese the better!
Yes! Spaghetti dinners from restaurants are usually large portions so there is plenty to take home in a doggie bag. However the dog is not getting my spaghetti (sorry pup). The leftovers can be made into this delicious fried spaghetti.
You can really use any type of pasta you like however I prefer long strands of pasta like spaghetti, fettuccine or linguini.
I prefer to serve a nice salad before or on the side of this spaghetti. It's definitely a higher calorie, comfort food meal so it's good to have a fresh salad with it.
- Simple Italian Salad via Modern Proper
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with Toasted Walnuts
- Avocado Tomato and Arugula Salad
- Blue Cheese Tomatoes with Microgreens
If you like this recipe for Fried Leftover spaghetti, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Fried Leftover Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups leftover spaghetti with sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teasoon dried Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a medium to large non stick skillet. Add leftover spaghetti, half of the cheese and seasonings.
- Toss spaghetti and cook for 7 - minutes on medium high heat until edges are brown and all the cheese is melted.
- Top with remaining cheese and cover pot with lid or foil. Cook another minute or until cheese is melted. Serve in bowls.