Ground turkey bolognese is a healthier version of traditional bolognese sauce. Made with ground turkey and high-quality tomatoes, your family (and your waistline) is going to love this healthy spaghetti bolognese.
As you probably already know, I am a PASTA LOVER. While I eat lots of other things, pasta is a big part of my diet. I know it contains lots of carbs, but I practice moderation. And frankly, I am part Italian and would not be able to live without it. So why not make a whole grain pasta recipe like this healthy spaghetti bolognese and enjoy some carbs?
Ingredients Used in this Turkey Bolognese Recipe
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti - Substitute regular spaghetti or even gluten-free spaghetti.
- Olive Oil - Or use any cold-pressed oil such as avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or sunflower oil.
- Ground Lean Turkey - You can use other ground meats but it will alter the calories and fat content of the final dish.
- Garlic - Fresh cloves offer the best taste.
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Basil
- Italian seasoning
- Crushed Tomatoes
- White Wine - You can substitute chicken broth in place of the wine.
- Sugar - Feel free to leave out the sugar.
- Salt and Red Pepper - Season to taste.
- Parmesan - Sprinkle on some freshly grated parm for serving.
How to make Bolognese Sauce healthy
This ground turkey bolognese sauce is a healthy week night recipe. I almost always use whole wheat spaghetti for the health benefits you get. This time I used whole wheat, flax seed spaghetti that I purchased at Trader Joe's. To cut down on fat, I used turkey rather than the beef or pork used in a more traditional Bolognese. I also drained the turkey after it was browned to avoid any extra fat . If you add enough herbs and spices, you will not lose any flavor. A spoon of sugar sweetens the sauce slightly but you can also leave it out if you wish.
Tips to Making Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese
Here are a few tips to help you make a delicious dinner.
- Don't overcook the spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti to al dente which will make for a more pleasing experience as you eat the pasta.
- Choose good quality meat. Ground turkey plays an important role in this recipe. Look for organic meat when possible and choose a ground turkey with a lower fat content for the most health benefits. You can also grind your own turkey!
- Choose high-quality tomatoes. Higher quality tomatoes will provide you with the most flavorful sauce. Since the tomatoes are not masked by other ingredients, I tend to spring for the more expensive tomatoes. If you can find crushed, look for whole peeled tomatoes and crush them yourself using an immersion blender.
More Bolognese Recipes
I love a good Bolognese recipe and here are more of my favorites:
- Skinny Bolognese Noodles
- Mini Lasagna Bolognese
- Easy Gnocchi Bolognese with Ground Turkey
- Tortellini Bolognese from Food Fanatic.
- Pork Bolognese from Souffle Bombay
If you like this Ground Turkey Bolognese, please leave a 5-star rating.
Spaghetti with Turkey Bolognese
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 ¼ lb ground lean turkey
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- handful fresh chopped parsley
- handful fresh chopped basil
- 1 TBS dried Italian seasoning
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine or substitute chicken broth
- 1 TBS sugar
- salt and red pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan for serving
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium and brown the ground turkey. Drain after it is fully cooked.
- Add garlic, parsley, basil, and seasoning and cook for a minute or two. Add tomatoes and sugar.
- Cover pot and simmer on low for 25 minutes or until sauce is thickened while stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss spaghetti with sauce and serve with grated cheese.
First Published October 2008 ; Last Updated May 2021