Have you ever made Pasta Fazool? Pasta Fazool (also known as Pasta Fagioli or even Pasta Fazol) is a tasty Italian soup made with beans, pasta and meat. Try this easy version of Pasta Fagioli soup using leftover or deli ham. It is made in under 45 minutes!
Say this with me. Pasta Faaaaaa Zooooool.
Now you know how to pronounce this soup dish. Easy, right? Well, so is this recipe.
We had plenty of leftover Easter ham. I sent my teenage son to the grocery store, and he came back with a 14-pound spiral ham for 3 people. I do think my growing boy ate one-quarter of it himself but there was still plenty of ham left.
After making Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches, I also wanted to make a few soups to keep in the freezer.
What is Pasta Fazool?
Pasta Fazool (also known as Pasta Fagioli or even Pasta Fazol) is a traditional hearty soup made from pasta and beans, and many versions contain some form of pork.
Every Italian family has their own version of Pasta Fagioli Soup, and I have always made it with ham.
Any leftover ham will do and although I prefer the flavor of a good spiral ham, chopped deli ham works also. I sear the ham, so it gets a little crispy like bacon. Some people will add bacon or pancetta to their recipe. You could get really ambitious and make the stock with a pork ham bone if you have one leftover.
This is a recipe that reminds me of my childhood because we ate it a lot. It is filling, comforting and inexpensive to make. It sounds like the perfect meal, right?
- beans - I use canned and make sure to rinse them. You can use white or red beans depending on your preference.
- chopped ham - leftover or deli ham works great
- chicken broth or stock - homemade is great but there are plenty of good store bought ones to choose frm
- olive oil - I always keep a bottle in my pantry
- vegetables - carrots and onions go in this soup
- aromatics - to season the soup and give it lots of flavor, I use chopped garlic, dried Italian seasoning, tomato pasta, fresh chopped parsley and balsamic vinegar
- pasta - Use any small pasta like dialitini, elbow macaroni or small sized shells
- Grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper- for serving and to taste
Can you make Pasta Fazol in advance?
This recipe, like many soup recipes, is great to make in advance. I prefer to make it the day before because it gets more flavorful the next day. I like to boil the pasta separately and add it right before serving. This keeps the pasta al dente instead of mushy.
If you would like to freeze Pasta Fagioli Soup, cook everything except the pasta, then add it when the soup is being reheated. If necessary, you can also add some extra water so that it is your desired thickness.
Steps to Making Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or soup pan.
- Add the leftover ham and cook until it begins to crisp.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots and cook until they are fragrant and begin to get tender.
- Add broth, water, tomato sauce, beans, tomato paste, seasoning and vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta just before serving and cook until al dente - about 12 minutes. Garnish with parsley and fresh parmesan and serve.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
- 10 Minute Wonton Soup Recipe
- Easy Egg Drop Soup with Orzo
- Hearty Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
- Meatball Tortellini Soup via Food Fanatic
Pasta Fazool is easy to make, and it's so comforting on a cold or rainy day. Make a batch and freeze it so you can enjoy this soup anytime.
If you like this Pasta Fazol, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces chopped ham
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 1 can beans (white or kidney beans are both good) 15 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup dried small tube pasta such as ditalini or elbows
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large Dutch Oven or soup pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ham and cook for a few minutes or until it starts to crisp. Add carrots, garlic and onion. Cook for another few minutes or until veggies start to brown.
- Add broth, water, tomato sauce, beans, tomato paste, seasoning and vinegar. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook for another 12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in the chopped parsley the last few minutes of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
First Published March 2015; Last Updated March 2021