Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips are coated with Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese then baked in the oven. So crispy and delicious without the extra added calories of frying. You'll love this baked breaded zucchini!
Zucchini Makes the Perfect Healthy Appetizer
Who loves appetizers and snacks?
Me, me, me! !! I could eat appetizers for dinner every night. I love getting appetizers and cocktails with friends however they are not always calorie friendly in a restaurant. So a good option is to make my own appetizers and I do that often.
Zucchini has a ton of health benefits and this recipe is baked in the oven rather than fried. The crispy coating gives it crunch and great flavor so you won't miss the heavy oil that it would normally be fried in. I actually prefer this healthier alternative baked in the oven for a nice light appetizer.
- Zucchini – medium size zucchini have the best flavor and their size is easy to work with. When in season, I love to buy local NJ Fresh produce.
- Cooking Spray - olive oil cooking spray is preferred.
- Parmesan cheese – use freshly grated parmesan cheese if possible. If you want to keep this recipe vegetarian make sure to use a vegetarian Parmesan cheese.
- Italian Seasoning – select a premixed spice blend or add oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, etc.
- Bread Crumbs – panko bread crumbs are my preference because of their crunchiness and light texture. You can use traditional bread crumbs if you prefer.
- Eggs - beat 2 room temperature eggs to dip the zucchini before coating in breadcrumbs.
- Salt and Pepper – add kosher salt and black pepper to the bread crumb and parmesan mixture to taste or sprinkle directly onto the zucchini.
- Marinara Sauce – for dipping. I like to make homemade marinara but you can use a jarred sauce for simplicity.
Find complete measurements and instructions on the recipe card below.
How To make Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini
These baked breaded zucchini chips are super easy to make!
- Slice it into ¼ to ½ inch thick coins depending on how thick you like them.
- It is then coated in an egg wash and dipped in a bread crumb mixture of Panko bread crumbs, dried herbs and Parmesan cheese.
- The zucchini chips are placed in a single layer on a baking sheet. I like to line my baking sheet with parchment paper for making easy clean up. Or you can cook them on a wire rack to make them more crispy.
- The zucchini coins get brushed with cooking spray then baked in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes for crispy perfection. They come out golden brown, crispy and delicious!
Cooking /Storage Tips
- Dry zucchini slices on a paper towel. This will get rid of any excess water and ensure that the egg mixture and panko mixture stays on well.
- Place the parmesan and bread crumb mixture into a shallow bowl for dredging.
- Use a prepared baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. I love the pre cut sheets and always keep a big box on hand.
- Use a wire rack for extra crispy oven fried zucchini.
- For best results use olive oil cooking spray.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce such as marinara, creamy homemade garlic sauce, or even my favorite bottled ranch dressing.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Reheat in a 375 degrees F oven for up 5-7 minutes. You can reheat in the microwave but they wont be as crispy.
- Zucchini Sticks – Instead of slicing the zucchini into coins, cut into sticks for a low carb french fry substitute. They now turn into baked zucchini fries.
- Spicy Oven Fried Zucchini – Add a bit of garlic powder and cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the parmesan mixture to really kick up the flavor.
Serving Suggestions :
You can serve this crispy zucchini as an appetizer or a great side dish. You really can't go wrong either way. If you have picky children that won't eat many vegetables, this could be a good option to introduce them to zucchini. I serve it with my Easy 25 Minute Marinara Sauce. because the coins are great for dipping. I also love this zucchini dipped in Homemade Bang Bang Sauce. But use your favorite fry sauce or whatever type of sauce you prefer.
More Light Appetizer Recipes:
I love to entertain in the summer. The weather has been nice and we have frequently been having friends over to social distance on our patio. I like to serve a few different appetizers with this Oven Fried Zucchini. Here are some other great appetizer recipes:
- PESTO TORTELLINI SKEWERS
- FETA CHEESE DIP WITH RED PEPPERS
- GREEK KOFTA KABOBS (with GROUND VEAL)
- BUFFALO CHICKEN FLATBREAD WITH BACON
- SHRIMP NACHOS
- TOMATO PESTO CAPRESE BITES
- SWEET AND SPICY SHRIMP (ONLY 10 MINUTES!)
More Zucchini Recipes
- Chococolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Noodles with Healthy Bolognese Sauce
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats via Food Fanatic
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini (Low Carb recipe)
Slice them, bake them until crispy and serve them with your favorite dipping sauce. You are going to love this delicious way to enjoy this bountiful summer vegetable. And it really is a great veggie to find in your grocery store year round.
If you like this baked breaded zucchini recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips
- 2 medium size zucchini
- cooking spray
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim the ends off of the zucchini. Slice each zucchini into ¼ to ½ inch coins. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning then mix thoroughly. Dip the zucchini coins into the egg wash then the crumb mixture, making sure to coat evenly.
- Place on baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned. Cook on broil for the last 2 minutes of baking if you would like it extra crispy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with marinara sauce if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.