This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a low fat and lighter version of the classic bread. It tastes so good that no one has to know that you made it healthier.
My teenage son is not a big veggie fan. No matter how many times I have him try the good-for-you green stuff, he's never been one to like his vegetables. He'd much rather have my Perfect Grilled Steak or Stovetop Mac and Cheese .
But that all changed recently. He will be playing college soccer next year and after talking to the school's nutritionist he has been doing a decent job of forcing those vegetables down.
But why not enjoy them? I decided to pair some fresh grated zucchini with chocolate chips to make this low fat and healthy version zucchini bread. My son agreed that this was a great way to get zucchini in his diet.
How could this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread be healthy?
I wanted this bread to be moist but not loaded with fats and sugar. After seeing several recipes, I came up with one on my own. I used low fat buttermilk to add extra moisture to the cake. Instead of using all white flour, I used half whole wheat flour for some extra fiber and nutrients. Many zucchini bread recipes have over 1 cup of sugar in them. I kept the sugar down to ⅔ of a cup. No added butter or other fat is in this recipe. Zucchini keeps the loaf moist.
Quick breads are the perfect alternative to a bread you can have in less than an hour. The stores have been low on yeast lately so making one of these is convenient and much quicker.
What is your favorite quick bread recipe?
More No Yeast Breads and Loaf Recipes
- Cheesy Beer Bread
- French Apple Cake Loaf
- Almond Flour Banana Bread (Gluten Free)
- Blue Ribbon Irish Soda Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together in a medium size bowl, both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together buttermilk, eggs, zucchini and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Make sure you do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into two 8 inch by 4 inch greased pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until bread is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.