Bang Bang Sauce is sweet and spicy and the perfect condiment to drizzle on meat, fish and seafood or use as a dip for French fries or vegetables. This simple sauce recipe is easy to make in minutes with simple ingredients you might already have on hand.
From the first time, I had the Bang Bang Shrimp Appetizer at Bonefish Grille, I became obsessed with the spicy sauce. I remember when the shrimp were finished there was still a bit of sauce left in the bowl. I was not letting my server take it away as I still had a piece of lettuce to dip in there.
Now I know how to make my own Bang Bang sauce and I really love using it on so many things. You can always find a small bowl in my fridge as it is a great option to dress up sandwiches, burgers and appetizers.
What Is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang Bang sauce is a mayo-based sauce with other sweet and spicy ingredients. The Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer at Bonefish Grille catapulted this creamy sauce into the mainstream. It's surprisingly easy to make a homemade version.
This popular sauce is a great dipping sauce for crispy fried shrimp but it's so versatile and I also love dipping French fries in it. We also drizzle it on beef, chicken, fish and even roasted vegetables. My family can't get enough of these Air Fryer Bang Bang Brussels Sprouts.
This sauce is so good I won't tell even if you lick it off the spoon! It really is THAT good!
There are other similar versions of this delicious sauce and sometimes they are called boom boom sauce or yum yum sauce.
- Mayonnaise – You can use any brand of mayo. Kewpie mayo is a favorite for Asian recipes and its addictive sweet and creamy taste works beautifully for this recipe. You can also use a vegan mayo to make this recipe vegan.
- Sweet chili sauce – Find Thai sweet chili sauce in the Asian section of your local store.
- Hot Sauce – Use sriracha sauce or your favorite brand of hot sauce.
- Vinegar – I prefer to use white vinegar but you can use rice wine vinegar or whatever vinegar you have on hand.
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic provides a warm earthy flavor. You can also use ½ teaspoon garlic powder for a less strong taste.
- Crushed Red Pepper or Red Chili Flakes – This optional ingredient really helps to kick up the heat in this recipe if you like a more spicy taste.
How To Make Bang Bang Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Taste and add crushed red pepper to taste until the heat level meets your expectations.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge or store leftover sauce in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
For full recipe, nutritional information and ingredient amounts, see recipe card below.
How To Use this Sauce
Bang Bang sauce can be used as a drizzle or a dip. It is the perfect sauce to pair with beef and chicken, fish or shrimp and steamed vegetables. You can even drizzle it over rice or dip in fried or fried zucchini. Here are some delicious recipes to serve with your homemade sauce.
- Homemade Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp from Cookin' With Mima
- Air Fried Cauliflower
You can easily make this sauce with low-fat mayonnaise or use plain unsweetened greek yogurt to cut back on calories and fat in this recipe.
This sauce should be refrigerated. I think the flavors get better when the sauce has been refrigerated for at least a few hours before serving. You can store the sauce in a covered jar for two weeks (or longer).
Whether you dip, dunk or drizzle you are going to love this delicious and versatile sauce recipe. If you like this dipping sauce, you might also like my Homemade Big Mac sauce recipe too!
If you like this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating below.
Homemade Bang Bang Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small pinch crushed red pepper (optional) - see notes
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients. Mix until well blended. Add crushed red pepper if you'd like it a bit more spicy.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.