Pesto Tortellini Skewers are easy to make and easy to transport. This makes them perfect to bring to a party. They are my signature traveling appetizer dish!
Now please don't judge me because you see them served out of an aluminum tin. When you are at a soccer or baseball party with over a dozen sweaty boys, these tins are fancy. Believe me when I say that as I have had parties in my house with food served out of cardboard boxes. The boys don't care about containers as they are more more worried about what's inside the boxes. Or how fast you can swallow down a slice of pizza before going back to playing basketball or XBox.
If you really want to know the truth, I don't know if any of the boys ate a skewer. But these Pesto Tortellini Skewers were a real hit with the adults. They disappeared very quickly.
What type of tortellini can you use for these Pesto Tortellini Skewers?
In this recipe, I used pesto tortellini from Trader Joe's but any tortellini will do. Grocery stores carry lots of variety and you can substitute three cheese tortellini, meat tortellini or spinach ones. Use your favorite!
The pesto sauce really gave everything good flavor. I also used a jar of store bought pesto for convenience but if you are really ambitious, you can use homemade pesto also. If you use too much, the tortellini skewers could be salty so I used only a small amount of pesto.
What else can you serve on a skewer?
The variations on appetizer skewers are endless. This is not the first time, I have made them. My Antipasto Skewers, Greek Shrimp Skewers and Strawberry Basil Feta Skewers are frequent visitors at parties too. You can put whatever you want on a stick. I am making them next week for book club but leaving out the pepperoni to make them vegetarian. They might also be more kid friendly if the pesto is left out. Be creative and look in your fridge and pantry. You'll find endless ideas to serve on a skewer!
Pesto Tortellini Skewers
- 8 to 10 ounce package of fresh tortellini
- 8 ounces bocconcini small fresh mozzarella balls
- 2 TBS pesto sauce
- 24 small slices pepperoni
- 24 grape tomatoes
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain when cooked and rinse with cold water.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the tortellini and mozzarella balls with pesto sauce. Stir gently so they don't break apart.
- On small skewers, alternate tortellini, mozzarella balls wrapped in pepperoni and tomatoes. You will use 24 pieces of tortellini and mozzarella balls. There might be a few extra leftover.
- Makes 24 skewers.