Make this Pappardelle Pasta with Bacon, Egg, and Cheese for dinner tonight! You will see plenty of smiles at your dinner table.
First Posted February 2018; Updated July 2020
Pappardelle Pasta with Bacon -- Backstory
I advise all people following the Whole 30, Paleo and Vegetarian diet to look away from this post today. What I will show you involves bacon, eggs, cheese and pasta. It's super delicious and easy to make. I will go back to more clean eating another day but for now let's be decadent.
I came up with this recipe because my teenage son loves bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches. He's been making these sandwiches several times a week. He is just about 6 foot 3 and is a super active athlete. He needs as many calories as he can get and this Bacon, Egg and Cheese Pappardelle is a great way to get them in.
This dish is a bit like carbonara but a little lighter. Traditional pasta carbonara is richer because it usually includes some type of cream and egg yolks rather than the whole egg. I used chicken broth and the whole egg so the dish was not as rich and had a little more protein. I love the addition of parsley as it adds a bright and fresh touch.
The recipe serves three to four but can easily be doubled. If you have teenagers that eat a lot or you just want some winter comfort food, this is the pasta to make. It can be on your table in under 30 minutes too!
Storing and Reheating your Pasta
- If you're planning on storing this pasta, ensure that it cools a bit first, then transfer to an airtight container. In the refrigerator, this dish will last 4 to 5 days.
- To reheat from the fridge, simply spoon the pasta into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in one-minute increments until it reaches your desired temperature.
- In the freezer, this dish would last up to 2 months. To serve from frozen, ensure that the pasta has enough time to thaw, and then microwave like you would if it came out of the fridge.
- First and foremost, it's absolutely possible to sub in any kind of pasta you'd like with this recipe! A classic spaghetti would work perfectly, or if your family prefers less stringy pasta, make it with farfalle or rotini.
- You might also want to pack in some extra nutrition. In that case, consider adding some diced tomatoes, chopped broccoli and asparagus, or spinach.
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Simple Balsamic Glazed Caprese Salad
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus from Fifteen Spatulas
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic from A Saucy Kitchen
Other Pasta Dishes you might want to try:
- Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushrooms
- Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta from The Chunky Chef
- Linguine with Lemon and Tomatoes from Love and Lemons
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below!
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Pappardelle
- 8 Ounces Pappardelle pasta
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 Slices precooked bacon chopped
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Cook pasta in a pot of salted water according to package instructions. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and cheese. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil on medium high heat in a large frying pan. Add bacon and garlic to the pan. Once the bacon and garlic start to sizzle, add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and add drained, cooked pasta. Mix well and cook for a minute or two so that pasta blends with the liquid.
- Turn heat off and add egg mixture. Mix gently so that pasta is combined with the egg and cheese mixture.
- Transfer pasta to a bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.