Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta is the perfect dish for a Sunday dinner. It's also easy enough to make for a delicious week night dinner. The whole family will love it!
With all the crazy stuff going on, my family and I have been house bound for the last four days. I have been doing lots of cooking. Included in the cooking is this pasta dinner which my family loves.
What ingredients do you need?
The main ingredients for this pasta dish are:
- olive oil
- Italian sausage
- canned diced tomatoes
How do you make Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta?
This dish is really simple and it gets dinner on the table fast. The pasta is boiled and while it is cooking, I start browning the Italian sausage in a large frying pan with a bit of olive oil. I add sweet colorful peppers and a can of Italian diced tomatoes.
A few of my favorite seasonings get mixed in and this simmers until the sausage is done and the peppers are tender. The cooked pasta gets added to the sausage pan along with a bit of the pasta water. It cooks for just a few minutes longer until all the flavors are blended together.
This is a really flavorful pasta dinner!
What type of sausage is used in this pasta dish?
I used a really nice Italian sausage made from pork that I had in my freezer. I had purchased it from Sprouts a few weeks ago and love their homemade sausages. But you could substitute turkey or chicken sausage if you like. Actually, you could also use a meat free sausage if you desired.
While we are all worried about the coronavirus pandemic, I am trying to focus on the fact that we are having a lot of family time and dinners together. So comfort food and this Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta really fits the menu.
If you would like some more comfort food recipes, try these:
- Italian Stove Top Peppers
- Slow Cooker Roaster Chicken
- Pierogies with Red Cabbage and Kielbasi
- Low Carb and Super Easy Eggplant Parmesan
- Easy Egg Drop Soup with Orzo
- Pappardelle Pasta with Bacon, Egg and Cheese
Stay well everyone!
Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- large frying pan
- large pasta pot
- 16 ounces pasta use a pasta such a penne, ziti or other tube pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces Italian sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 large sweet peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (14 ounces) Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of water, add salt. Put on high heat until it comes to a boil. Add pasta and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes or until package directions. Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add sausage and saute for about 5 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add peppers and garlic to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, onion, and basil. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until all is cooked through.
- Add drained pasta and water to the pan. Mix well and cook on medium heat uncovered until water evaporates and sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.