This super easy and authentic Mexican Guacamole recipe is delicious, and even better, it only takes 10 minutes to make! Don't miss out on this simple but flavorful avocado dip.
How I started making this Easy Guacamole Recipe
I was never a picky eater; however, there were certain things I didn't eat until I was a young adult. Things such as blue cheese, sushi and avocados were way too sophisticated for my taste buds back then. When I was about 20 years old and working in a Mexican restaurant, I took the plunge.
The restaurant made this great chicken and avocado salad that made me like avocados. They also had a nice, thick blue cheese dressing that I started to put on salads. Sushi was not on a Mexican menu, but on a slow afternoon, one of the bartenders decided to order some sushi for lunch. This was my first taste and it took a few tries before I could say I liked sushi. I was on my way to culinary sophistication.
Since then, avocados have become an addiction of mine. I can mash them up and put them on everything. They also are a good breakfast, lunch or dinner food. But my favorite way to eat avocados is as a snack or appetizer.
This authentic guacamole recipe has the perfect amount of onions, garlic and lime juice. My husband doesn't care for the onions but this past week I made the guacamole for my book club. The onions still went in and there were more leftovers just for me. Sometimes I will leave the onions out or the onion, garlic and peppers can be chopped up super fine where you can barely see them.
I served this dip with tortilla chips while sipping on a Fresh Strawberry Mojito. The next day I finished it straight off a spoon.
How to Choose the Best Ingredients for Authentic Guacamole
- Picking avocados for your Mexican guacamole depends on how long you're going to store the avocados before preparing the dish.
- If you know you'll be making your guacamole right away, look for avocados that are darker in color. Place the avocado in the palm of your hand and give it a gentle squeeze; if it has some give but doesn't feel mushy, it's nice and ripe!
- Are you planning to wait a couple of days before making your guac? Aim for avocados that are brighter green and have a much firmer texture. At this point, it will be 4 or 5 days before they reach proper ripeness.
- If you need to speed up the ripening process, place the avocados in a paper bag with a banana or apple.
- More detailed information about avocado ripeness can be found here!
- For plum tomatoes, you'll either be looking for a nice red or yellow color. If the fruit still has green spots, it isn't ripe just yet. The darker the skin, the riper the fruit will be. Feel free to use any tomatoes you like. In the off season I pick grape and cherry tomatoes.
- Similar to avocados, a ripe tomato will have a bit of give when squeezed but shouldn't cave to the touch. If the fruit is too firm, you can place it in a sunny spot to speed up the ripening process. Again, if you're making your super easy guacamole in a few days, this option may be better for you!
- Almost all dry varieties of onions (red, yellow, white) abide by the same principles: look for onions that are firm and have no wet spots. The neck part of the onion should also be dry and tight.
- Onions can last for up to four weeks if they're stored somewhere cool and dry.
- For an onion that's been chopped already, though, the remainder should be wrapped in plastic, stored in the fridge, and used within a day or two.
- There tends to be a large variation in the hotness of these peppers, and if you want your easy Mexican guacamole hotter or milder, here are some tips.
- For milder jalapenos, look for peppers that are smooth and don't have many blemishes.
- Hotter peppers will have white stress marks in their skin, which comes from aging, and typically indicates a hotter flavor.
- Much of the pepper's heat is concentrated around the seeds, so if you scrape them out before adding the pepper, you can slowly add them back in until your guacamole is the desired spiciness.
How long does guacamole last?
- Typically, traditional guacamole only lasts a day or two in the fridge.
- In order to extend your homemade guacamole's life, make sure that you cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Be liberal with some lime or lemon juice to help prevent the avocados from oxidizing so quickly, which will keep your guacamole green longer.
- I also add a pit from the avocado to make my guacamole last longer and stay fresh. While the guacamole might be a bit discolored, it will still be ok to eat. Don't keep it too long though because it will spoil after a few days.
Mexican Guacamole Variations
- Looking to add some sweetness? Chop up some mango or pineapple and mix it in with the tomato (or replace the tomato altogether).
- You could also mix in some corn, either sweet or charred depending on what kind of flavor you seek.
- Add some fresh chopped cilantro (if you like it). Or you can sprinkle some on the top of your authentic guacamole for garnish.
- For a Greek twist, add olives, red onion, oregano and parsley.
- If you're looking for an even heartier version of this easy guacamole, sprinkle on bacon bits and cheese (cojita cheese would work well with all of these flavors).
More Appetizer Recipes
- What better to go with guacamole than some tortilla chips? This recipe from Cooking Classy will teach you how to make your own!
- Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips
- Feta Cheese Dip with Red Peppers
- Easy Pimento Cheese
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
What to Serve with this Guacamole Recipe
- One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac
- Baja Fish Taco Bowls
- Mini Taco Bowls Bites
- Dorito Casserole via Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chicken Fajita Skillet Tacos
If you like this guacamole recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Super Easy Mexican Guacamole
- 2 large avocados peeled and pitted
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado well.
- Add the garlic, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice.
- Mix well then fold in the tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
First Published December 2011, Last updated May 2021
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
I think part of it is regional, I never had avocado growing up because we just didn't have them all that often on the East Coast. They're far more plentiful here in CA.
Weird confession....I've never had guacamole. I know, weird right. It looks really good.
It took years for me to try avocado and now i love it! Great easy recipe
I love guacamole. Sometimes when we're feeling lazy we just make that for dinner. There's nothing else that's takes no little effort and yet tastes so good.
I love them myself, and my daughter could eat 10
Lisa, I am totally in the mood for chips and guac now! Can't wait to try this recipe tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
This guacamole recipe sounds very tasty! I've seen quite a few, and this one has everything it should to be top 5 for my tastes!
Yum! Love guac!
Perfect! Kroger has Avocados BOGO this week. 🙂
The Japanese Redneck
Same here with all of those, but still don't like blue cheese.
Picture perfect 🙂
mmm, guacamole can improve so many dish, i love the recipe!
Lydia (The Perfect Pantry)
Nothing better than guacamole! Now, try putting some bacon in it. Oh boy.
That seems so quick and easy! Yum!
I was always pretty weird about guacamole, I never had it growing up so it was definitely more of a grown up food for me. But now, I LOVE it. I could eat some serious guacamole.
I'm getting giddy at the thought that we might be having lunch together in a few days Lisa!!!!
I wish Grumpy would eat Guac! I love it...I can't get him to eat anything with avocados though.
Wow - great recipe! I think I have to try this!!
Bizzy B. Bakes
I love avocado and my husband doesn't which is why I serve it when we have company, no matter what else, I am having.
Having a perfect guac in only 10 minutes is a lifesaver, thanks so much for this!
This guacamole recipe really was super easy to make and tasted just like restaurant quality guacamole! Loved this recipe!
Yum! My hubby and I love this recipe even my picky eater! I’m definitely making this again! Such a huge hit!
Love guacamole! It's great and so healthy with some veggies for dipping.
There's nothing better than fresh guacamole! This is so good on tacos!
Such an easy and delicious recipe! Love it with tortilla chips! Yum!