Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushrooms is an easy meal using all my pantry and freezer staples. This dinner is on the table in 30 minutes!
Sometimes I don't even start thinking about dinner until 7 pm. My family is now extremely hungry and I need to get dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. Thanks to some quick cooking tortellini and a few links of Italian sausage, I have a great meal for you.
There was a night recently where I had planned on making grilled ham, chicken and cheese sandwiches for dinner. But guess what? I went grocery shopping to Trader Joe's during dinner because that's when the stores is most empty. But they were sold out of sliced ham. Apparently, everyone will be making ham sandwiches during our quarantine which I understand. Hey, it's an easy dinner and I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. So I needed a plan B. I decided to pick up a few groceries, some mushrooms for this recipe and use what I had at home for supper.
What ingredients are in this Sausage Tortellini recipe?
I always keep fresh or frozen tortellini on hand. Tortellini cook quick and I don't think I've met a person that doesn't like pasta filled with cheese. Dried ones work also but they take a bit longer to make.
My family loves spicy Italian sausage so that is what I used. I get a really good homemade one at Martins Sausage in the Reading Terminal in Philly. I buy plenty of extra when I am there to keep in my freezer. They sell pork, lamb, turkey and chicken sausage. I love the turkey and chicken ones especially when I am watching fat grams and calories.
Another ingredient you will always see in my pantry is canned tomatoes. I use them all the time. We are a big pasta family and tomatoes go great with pasta. I often whip up my 25 minute marinara sauce. In this particular recipe, I used diced tomatoes with garlic and basil.
The other ingredients are pretty basic. A box of white mushrooms, some garlic, olive oil and seasonings completes the list of ingredients.
More Easy Italian Recipes
My family loves Italian food and I like to get dinner on the table fast. Easy clean up is another priority of mine. If you like this Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushroom recipe, you will also like these meals:
I can't say I'm sorry that my store was out of ham as I am always up for eating some Italian food. This tortellini recipe will be served again and again at my dinner table.
Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushrooms
- 10 ounces packaged fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 links of Italian sausage 8 ounces , cut into bite size pieces
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook tortellini in a pot of water according to package directions. Drain, keep warm and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic, sausage and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sausage starts to brown. Stir frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes and dried basil. Cook for 10 minutes or until sausage is almost cooked through.
- Add tortellini and reserved pasta water. Mix well and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until water evaporates and sauce thickens.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.