These Air Fryer Chicken Legs have crispy skin on the outside and are juicy on the inside. Chicken drumsticks are one of my favorite air fryer recipes to make because they are easy to cook but super delicious and require only 3 ingredients!
I love a good easy dinner recipe and air frying some crispy drumsticks never fail me. All you need to do is coat some chicken legs in seasoning and light olive oil to get the most juicy chicken drumsticks.
Serve them with French fries, potato salad or a green salad and you have yourself a great meal. Cooking chicken parts in the air fryer is a much easier method than cooking a whole chicken and saves lots of time too.
Since my family loves the dark meat of chicken, I also make these panko air fryer chicken thighs. They are crispy, crunchy and I really can't decide which air fryer chicken recipe is my favorite.
Ingredients Needed to make Air Fryer Drumsticks
This chicken recipe requires only 3 ingredients. You might even already have them in your kitchen!
- Chicken Legs - Buy fresh looking chicken drumsticks with no smell. I prefer to buy large family packages as this saves on cost and my family can never get enough of these. I always keep an extra package in the freezer.
- Olive Oil - You need just a little bit to lightly coat the chicken so that the seasoning will stick.
- Seasoning - Use your favorite seasoning. I love an all purpose chicken seasoning and typically use this rotisserie chicken seasoning or Montreal chicken seasoning. These include salt so there is no extra salt needed. If you wanted to, you could just season the chicken legs with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of garlic powder or onion powder.. More great options would be smoked paprika or chili powder to add flavor.
If you are really ambitious you can also make your own Homemade Meat Seasoning. (I call it beef seasoning but use it on all kinds of meat, poultry and veggies too.)
Steps to cooking Air Fryer Chicken Legs
This is a really easy recipe and there is only 3 steps.
Prep: Open your package of chicken legs and put them in a large bowl. Coat them well with a little bit of oil and seasoning. Arrange them in a single layer on your air fryer basket or rack.
Cook: Cook the legs at 400 degrees f for 30 minutes cooking time. Make sure to turn them once in between cooking as this will create a nice crispy chicken skin.
Test: Make sure the chicken drumsticks are fully cooked. Juices should run clear and the internal temperature of the chicken legs should register 165 degrees when using an instant read meat thermometer. If the drumsticks are on the larger side and you want them extra crispy, cook times copuld vary as they might need to cook for an extra five minutes or so.
You are ready to serve these super crispy air fryer chicken drumsticks!
How many chicken drumsticks should I serve per person?
I cook 2 drumsticks per per person if they are smaller or medium sized. Sometimes I get extra large chicken legs and one might be enough for me but I also have a teenage boy that can eat a lot. He always eats at least three and proclaimed this air fryer chicken legs recipe is as better than any fried chicken he's ever had. I'm telling you again that these are the best crispy chicken drumsticks out there and my whole family agrees! It can't hurt to cook a few extra because the leftovers are always good served either hot or cold.
- Preheat your air fryer for a few minutes if necessary. Mine gets hot very quickly but some need to be preheated.
- Spread the drumsticks out in a single layer on the racks in your air fryer so the hot air will be distributed evenly. They won't get as crispy if they are too crowded.
- Use a pair of tongs to turn the chicken. This is the easiest tool to use so that you don't burn yourself and the chicken gets flipped on the other side.
- This chicken drumstick recipe is keto friendly and low carb. After cooking you can remove the skin to make them lower in fat. You may be missing out on the crispy skin but will still have juicy chicken with less calories.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Chicken Drumstick Side Dish Suggestions
- Creamy Garlic Infused Mashed Potatoes via Swirls Of Flavor
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Bacon
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots with Honey Butter
- Mexican Corn Salad via It's A Keeper
- Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Cheesy Bacon Garlic Biscuits via My Incredible Recipes
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with Seasoned Sour Cream
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
More Chicken Recipes:
- Mushroom Chicken Thighs with Rosemary
- Spicy Oven Fried Chicken
- Baked Sweet Hawaiian Chicken via $5 Dinners
- Rainbow Greek Chicken Salad
- Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken via Moore or Less Cooking
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Boiled Chicken Legs
If you like this recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks Recipe, please give it 5 stars below.
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- air fryer
- 8 chicken drumsticks (skin attached)
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon BBQ or chicken seasoning (see notes)
- Put the drumsticks in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over them until they are evenly coated. Sprinkle the seasoning over them and mix well so that the chicken legs are well seasoned.
- Preheat air fryer if necessary. Set temperature to 400 degrees. Place the chicken on the racks or in the baskets and make sure they are in a single layer and spread out. Cook for 30 minutes, flipping them one time in the middle of cooking.
- The chicken will be done when they are crispy on the outside and reach an internal temperature of 165 with an instant read thermometer. Juices will also run clear. Cook for additional minutes if necessary.