Spiced Shrimp Cocktail

by jerseygirl on December 29, 2009 · 16 comments

Shrimp cocktail was one of the appetizers I served on Christmas Eve. In my opinion, you can’t have a holiday without shrimp. This is quick, easy and great to make ahead of time. Of course, every grocery store has a seafood section where you can get a shrimp cocktail ring already premade. But if you want something a little more tasty, try these.

I am wondering about the cocktail part of the shrimp. Is it called shrimp cocktail because you are supposed to drink a cocktail with it? Or does the shrimp need a cocktail too? I wasn’t sure so to cover all bases I decided to add beer to the shrimp and I had a cocktail while eating it. So what is your interpretation of the cocktail part?
This is a good appetizer if you need to make one for New Year’s Eve. As a matter of fact, I might be making it again. They go very well with Bloody Mary’s too.

Spiced Shrimp Cocktail

1 (12 oz) can or bottle of beer
2 TBS Old Bay seasoning
2 TBS butter
1 TBS dried parsley
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail left on
cocktail sauce and lemon wedges for serving

In a large sauce pan , mix beer, Old Bay, butter and parsley. Heat on medium high until boiling. Add shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until pink. Drain and chill. Serve with sauce and lemon wedges.

post signature

HoneyB December 29, 2009 at 8:28 am

Looks and sounds good to me! I love shrimp about anyway you can get it! I'm not sure about the cocktail part…but I would like to think your right! 😉

Mom on the Run December 29, 2009 at 9:41 am

We served shrimp cocktail at Christmas and it was the first thing to go.

I love the idea of spicing it up.

The Japanese Redneck December 29, 2009 at 10:10 am

LOL, Lisa. Guess I never thought about it that much. But, now that you ask, I guess it's because they use to always be served hanging on the rim of a cocktail glass with the sauce in the glass.

Yours look great.

Jhonny walker December 29, 2009 at 11:56 am

Hey Lisa,

I guess I agree with Ramona..but like the fact that you opened up so many possibilities…much more exciting than the obvious!!

Love it..always!!

That Girl December 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I feel like Japanese Redneck might be right on this…either that or it has to do with the "cocktail sauce" it's served with…did that exist first?

Patsyk December 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm

I love that you gave the shrimp a beer and you had a cocktail while eating them! Sounds like a perfect interpretation to me!

Donna-FFW December 29, 2009 at 6:47 pm

My hubby makes them almost the same way, delicious!!

Dawn December 29, 2009 at 7:13 pm

It was served with cocktails I'm sure.
Happy New Year girl!

Lea Ann December 29, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I love Shrimp Cocktail. I agree, one should always have a cocktail while eating shrimp cocktail, but I thought it was named that because it's served in a cocktail glass, with the shrimp hanging from the side. Usually a big martini glass.

Amber December 29, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I kind of think the tail of the shrimp is the cocktail part. But I like your version of drinking a cocktail while eating them. I have never tried Old Bay seasoning. Now I must.
The children are too cute with their big smiles. You are so blessed.
Happy New Year and welcome 2010.

Amber December 29, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Also, 3 of the candy recipes are there. They just came out in black on gray so you can not tell. Highlight, copy and paste if you are interested, they were all good.

Adam December 30, 2009 at 9:26 am

Happy New Year (soon)! I agree with shrimp cocktail, it's just like a fancy, easy way to celebrate. I need to make this… and bloody marys 🙂

And funny story… I had a patient today that I haven't met before (the other doc is on vacation) and she goes…

"So where from NY or NJ are you from?"

And I never ever brought that up before she said it. I guess we do in fact have accents 🙂

Allie December 31, 2009 at 11:56 am

Glad to see we aren't the only ones who add seafood to our Christmas meal! Looks tasty and you're making my mouth water.

Mireya January 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I will definitely have to try this shrimp – the only kind I've ever had for shrimp cocktail is store bought already cooked kind!

Chef Fresco January 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

We never get holiday shrimp! But I would definitely support the tradition! Looks great.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme January 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I just love a good shrimp cocktail. Especially when the shrimp are cooked just perfectly and the cocktail sauce is good and cold but spicy. Yum!