Instant Pot Popcorn is simple and delicious. This easy Instant Pot method makes movie-theater-style popcorn in just a few minutes. Top homemade popcorn with your favorite toppings for a tasty snack perfect for movie night.
Why Make Instant Pot Popcorn?
Microwave popcorn is convenient, but it can be costly. We won't even talk about the cost of popcorn at the movie theater! If you love popcorn and are looking for a simple way to save money, try Instant Pot Popcorn. Making homemade popcorn is so easy. It's less expensive, and it tastes great. Microwave popcorn is swimming in oil and other additives, so homemade popcorn is healthier and delicious. You can customize it with your favorite toppings and mixins.
Popcorn is the perfect after-school or late-night snack and makes the perfect treat for movie night at home.
- Oil – Any light, neutral-flavored oil will work.
- Popcorn Kernels – Use your favorite kind of popcorn kernels.
- Optional Toppings – such as salt, melted butter, ranch seasoning, Parmesan cheese, etc.
How To Make PopCorn in the Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and heat the oil for 2 minutes or until the display reads HOT.
- Add the popcorn kernels and stir for one-minute.
- Cover with a see-through lid.
- The popcorn should begin to pop in 2-3 minutes.
- Let the popcorn continue popping for about 5 minutes or until the popping has stopped.
- Season as desired and serve.
Best Popcorn Making Tips
- Use a 6-quart Instant Pot so the popcorn has plenty of room to pop and expand.
- Use a clear lid on your instant pop so you can keep an eye on the popcorn as it pops.
- Listen closely. When the popping slows significantly, turn off the heat to avoid burning.
- Give your Instant Pot a few good shakes during the popping stage to help unpopped kernels reach the oil.
- Use fresh popcorn kernels. Older kernels won't pop as evenly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the hot oil for a buttery flavor.
- Add salt and other toppings after popping.
Toppings For Popcorn
Plain popcorn is perfect for a low-sodium diet, but popcorn tastes even better when topped with butter and salt or your favorite topping. It's a tasty snack that can be customized to your liking and dietary needs. Here are suggestions:
- Melted butter and salt
- store-bought dry ranch dressing
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- Parmesan cheese
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Fresh Herbs
- Parmesan and Truffle Oil Popcorn
- Pizza Popcorn from Tastes of Lizzy
Refined coconut oil or avocado oil both have high smoke points making them great choices for making popcorn. You can use olive oil or vegetable oil if that is what you have on hand.
Plain popped popcorn is whole grain and high in fiber. It's also very filling which makes it a great choice for a healthy snack. When you add toppings like butter or salt, do so in moderation as this does lower the nutritional value.
A half cup of popcorn kernels yields approximately 8 cups of popped popcorn. A serving size is equal to 2 cups of popped kernels so this recipe yields 4 servings.
If you like this Instant Pot Popcorn recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Instant Pot Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- optional: salt, melted butter or your favorite toppings
- Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot. Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot” before placing your popcorn kernels in the pot.
- Stir for about 1 minute before putting a lid on the top you can see through. In about 2-3 minutes of heating while covered, you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping. Let it pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped.
- Season with your favorite flavorings and serve!
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.