RU Ready for Some Chili?

by jerseygirl on September 11, 2008 · 19 comments

Tonight we are getting ready for the Rutgers football game. What could be more appetizing than a nice pot of chili? And we’re still eating healthy here! I won’t feel so bad about having an extra football treat if this is the main event.

I made this chili with lean ground chicken and fresh farmers market ingredients. The weather is still warm and the tomatoes are still plentiful. It might not be for long but I’ll take them while I can. You can substitute ground turkey or beef for the chicken if you’d like. Also, if you are making this and want to use canned tomatoes, that is fine too. Just substitute 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes instead.
There are so many ways to make chili. I tend to like a more traditional chili with beans. I like it chunky and loaded with veggies. But you can make chili without beans or even without meat. What is your favorite type of chili?

I am sending this over to Aggie from Aggie’s Kitchen. She is hosting Food and Football Days. I can’t wait to see her collection of recipes. Who doesn’t need another tailgate or Superbowl recipe? So if you get a chance, join in on the fun and send her one too! Oh, and GO RU!

Game Day Chicken Chili
1 TBS olive oil
1 lb lean ground chicken
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 can(15 oz) white beans
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 1/2 cups pureed fresh tomatoes
1 TBS chili powder
1/2 TBS ground cumin powder
2 TBS sugar
salt to taste

In a medium size sauce pan, heat olive oil to medium high. Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink. Drain any extra grease. Add red peppers, onions and jalapeno peppers. Cook on low until vegetables are wilted. Add beans, cilantro, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and sugar. Cook on low for 40 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.

Mari September 11, 2008 at 9:14 pm

This looks really good – I’ll have to try it. I posted a white chicken chili at my blog today. Great minds…

Annie September 11, 2008 at 9:50 pm

OOh that sounds good.

I don’t eat a lot of chili. I have never made it, but I think I want to try it this year. It sounds great for a cold day.

Your recipe looks easy and I love that you used ground chicken. I will try it, maybe with ground turkey which I have in the freezer.

Aggie September 11, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Hi Lisa!
This looks awesome and I love even more that it is healthy! I love chili and can’t wait to try this one!

Thanks so much for sending your recipe in! : )

Tanya September 11, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Bring it on! It looks delicious. I’ll have to give this one a try!

Proud Italian Cook September 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm

I love all your ingredients here. Your chili sounds delicious! I can’t wait till it gets real cold and I can make a big pot of this!

Amber September 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Thank you so much for the Happy Birthday for Bethany, the post was for her because of all the obvious reasons, but also because of 9-11-2001 and all the sadness, so I try to focus away from that for her and the comments are just going to be that much more special for her. And I am pretty impressed with all the healthy eating. I had a chocolate milkshake for lunch.

Katrina September 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Great chili, I just made some last week using ground turkey. I looked very similar to yours. It was good and so warming as we’ve been getting tons of rain lately.

Hey, with the brownies with pumpkin, today I tried a brownie mix instead of cake mix and it is SO much better. Loved it. I cannot even tell that it wasn’t the regular brownie made with eggs and oil. One 9×13 size brownie mix and 1 cup pumpkin or an 8×8 size brownie mix and 1/2 cup pumpkin. I’ll probably blog it in the next day or two. You can also just take a spice cake mix and 1 small can of pumpkin and bake it with the same kind of results.
My kids have NO idea I snuck a veggie in the brownies. Let me know if you try it and what you think.

That Girl September 11, 2008 at 11:33 pm

I LOVE chili!

Clumbsy Cookie September 12, 2008 at 4:53 am

I’m allways ready for chili! Yous loos great, I like mine with beans as well!

EAT! September 12, 2008 at 7:32 am

Looks like it is going to be a long season for Rutgers 🙁 But it is still fun to make tailgate food. That is one of my favorite types of cuisine to make – if it is even has its own category!!

NatNibbles September 12, 2008 at 9:44 am

Looks really tasy, and healthy! I’m going to have to try this one out for sure…looks too good to pass up.

Maria September 12, 2008 at 9:57 am

chili is the perfect game time food! Looks good! And keep the healthy recipes coming I am trying to be better well on most days!

Mary September 12, 2008 at 10:43 am

Lisa,

This looks so good! A must do once it’s cooler here.

Glamorous Life of a House Wife September 12, 2008 at 11:08 am

Mmmm, it looks delicious. I bet it SMELLS even better. Yum, yum yum. I am so happy chili time is upon us!

Colleen September 12, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog! This chili looks delicious! It’s always nice to find a fellow New Jersey blogger as well. My husband was at the dismal game last night – at least we can make fun food to suffer through the season!

Prudy September 12, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Oh, I’m ready all right. I’m trying to hold myself back for a few more days. I mean, for heaven’s sake, it was 95 degrees. today. I need cool weather fast to keep up with my appetite, especially when I see your gorgeous chili.

Jeena September 12, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I am ready for some of this chilli!!! 😀

Lisa, I love the plate you serve this yummy chilli on it is so pretty.

RecipeGirl September 13, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I’m so excited to make a few different “Game Day” chilis this season! Yours looks great!

Beth September 13, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Perfect for watching ‘match of the day’ (An English Soccer Programme)