A big thanks goes out to the New York Beef Council for sponsoring this Best Steak Tacos post. As usual, all opinions are my own.
Things don't always go as planned. Isn't that the truth, lately! Originally I was supposed to participate in a fun blogger excursion with the New York Beef Council and several other bloggers this month. We were supposed to be in Rochester, NY visiting beef farms, collaborating together and having a fun beef sausage making session. Well, COVID-19 messed up things again and everyone thought it was best to have a virtual event instead. While the best laid plans can go awry, we all chose to embrace some virtual events.
It was great to come out of my comfort zone and share some cooking tips as well as a glimpse of my kitchen while making these easy steak tacos. Here is a screen shot of what went on.
When I say the Best Steak Tacos, I really do mean it. To me the best tacos include some mouthwatering steak along with whatever toppings you choose. Since everyone's favorite is different, it's best to have multiple toppings. But first, let me tell you how to make the easiest and delicious steak for tacos in under 20 minutes.
Tips for Making the Best Taco Steak in a Skillet
- Use a tender cut of beef. During my virtual cooking party, I showed how to cook both chip steak (thin cut top round) and sirloin steak. You really can use any cut used for stir frying.
- Prep the steak before cooking. Make sure to cut it into small pieces against the grain. This will give you a tender, good chew and the steak will not be tough.
- Season the meat well and marinate it for a short time. I used basic seasonings in this recipe like salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder. I also used lime juice and microwaved the lime for about 30 seconds in the microwave before cutting it. This makes it extra juicy.
- Preheat your pan and use just a small amount of oil. This will give the steak a terrific sear.
The Best Toppings for Steak Tacos
During my cooking demo, I went through a variety of toppings for steak tacos. I am a fan of different salsas, sour cream, tomatoes, chopped avocados, shredded lettuce and cilantro. Fresh ingredients are perfect for tacos!
I love making homemade salsas and other taco sauces but there are nights when I am extremely busy so there is no shame in buying your favorites. A fun idea is to go to your grocery store's salad bar and pick up a few different toppings from there.
Of course, when I have time, I make fresh pico de gallo and other salsas for my easy steak tacos.
Here are some of my favorite taco topping recipes:
- Three Minute Blender Salsa
- Chipotle Lime Aioli
- Super Easy Guacamole
- Jalapeno Peach Salsa
- Mexican Creamed Corn
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Tequila Avocado Salsa
When you put some great steak together with some tortillas and toppings, it turns into a fantastic dinner. And I am no stranger to making steak tacos as I often make a Carne Asada Taco Bar using my grill too.
More About Beef
Did you know you could make sausage from beef? When I think of beef sausage, I typically think of beef hot dogs or smoked sausage. But my view has changed after a virtual sausage making session. We made three kinds of sausages and my freezer is filled with them. I will be using beef to make homemade sausage more often and I have a great recipe coming to you in the fall. Practice makes perfect so they will just get better and better as I learn the ropes but here is what I accomplished so far.
Not only were these virtual sessions fun, the NY Beef Council gave us lots of valuable information about beef. There are so many different cuts and ways you can cook it. I encourage you to check out their YouTube Channel and find out more about different cuts of beef or learn how to cut your own steaks at home. You can also check out their website for more great recipes.
If you like this recipe for my Best Steak Tacos , please give it a 5-star rating below!
Best Steak Tacos
- 16 to 20 ounces sirloin steak
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup salsa
- your favorite taco toppings like shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, avocado, onions, etc
- Cut the steak against the grain into strips , then slice into one inch pieces. Toss the steak with the juice of the squeezed lime in a medium bowl then sprinkle in the salt, garlic powder, cumin and pepper. Mix well and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil and sear steak pieces in a single layer for 5 to 10 minutes, turning in the middle of cooking, or until cooked like you like them.
- Warm the corn tortillas in a pan or in the oven. Set up a toppings bar with the salsa and any of your favorite toppings.
- Assemble the tacos by adding the steak to the shells then adding the toppings. Enjoy!