This creamy tomato sauce is luscious and flavorful. My Angel Hair Pasta recipe with Blush Sauce (AKA Pink Sauce Pasta) is easy to prepare, delicious and is sure to make your tummy happy.
Comfort food always makes me feel better. To me, nothing is more comforting than a big bowl of pasta. This week I had a case of the Monday winter blues and this was the perfect dish to make. The ingredients are simple and I typically always have them in my fridge and pantry.
Angel Hair Pasta with Blush Sauce is a staple recipe in my house. It's an easy vegetarian dinner that is very satisfying.
What is Blush Sauce?
Blush sauce is simply a tomato cream sauce. I use a can of crushed tomatoes in this recipe and it is seasoned with crushed garlic and dried Italian seasoning. I also add a splash of white wine for a robust flavor.
While some cooks might add heavy cream to their blush sauce, I like to save some calories for dessert so I used half and half instead. I am not saying this is a low-calorie dish because it's not. This creamy tomato sauce is tangy and perfect for a cold winter night.
Lately I noticed that many restaurants have pasta with blush sauce on their menu and it is also referred to as pink sauce. Obviously that's the perfect name as it is a pinkish color.
I could eat this pink sauce pasta dish once per week!
- pasta - I like angel hair but feel free to use any kind of pasta you like.
- olive oil - This is my favorite but you could use another light neutral oil.
- crushed garlic - I crush whole cloves.
- canned crushed tomatoes - Find these in your grocery store.
- dried Italian seasoning - Adds lots of delcious flavor.
- white wine - This gives more flavor to the delcious sauce. You can substitute vegetable or chicken broth if you don't want to cook with alcohol.
- salt and crushed red pepper to taste
- half and half - I like to keep this creamy pasta dish on the lighter side but use heavy whipping cream for a richer and thicker sauce.
- fresh basil - Dried basil leaves are fine if you can't get fresh for garnish. You can also use fresh parsley.
- Parmesan cheese - Just a little goes a long way. I prefer freshly grated cheese.
How to Make Blush Sauce with Pasta
- Boil dry pasta in a large pot on medium-high heat or according to package instructions. Reserve some pasta water for later.
- Make the blush sauce in a large skillet.
- Toss the pasta with the creamy sauce and reserved pasta water.
See printable recipe card below for exact ingredients and instructions.
- I love the thin strands of angel hair pasta and the fact that it gets coated with lots of sauce. But it is a very delicate pasta and you really have to be careful not to overcook it. If you are worried about this, you can use another pasta. Feel free to switch up the pasta to a more sturdier one like spaghetti, fettucine or linguine.
- If you would like to add a vegetable like fresh or frozen broccoli or spinach, you can cook it with the sauce then toss it with the pasta. This adds extra color and nutrition to the dish. Or you could add some extra protein like cooked chicken breast or shrimp.
- I love to add fresh herbs and fresh basil goes so well with this dish. I happen to keep a fresh basil plant on my window sill during the winter months so chopped basil is what I use. But leave it out if you don't have any or use another fresh herb like parsley if you can get it.
- I always like a fresh sprinkle of Italian cheese on pasta. Use your favorite such as Parmesan, Romano or even shredded mozzarella cheese.
- If you need to include meat in your dinner (like my husband and son enjoy), serve some meatballs or sausage on the side. And when dinner is ready, get yourself a nice glass of wine and enjoy!
- Serve garlic bread and/or a simple salad on the side. Or try some side dishes below.
Side Dish Recipes to Serve
The creamy tomato sauce on this pasta is so yummy and satisfying you could easily count that as your veggies and call it a day. I won't judge if you fill a big bowl and just chow down! If you want to serve more than blush pasta sauce over pasta, I recommend these side dishes:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Beet and Goat Cheese Mesclun Salad
- Strawberry Avocado Salad
- Panko and Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Caprese Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette
More Pasta Recipes You Will Love
- Straw and Hay Pasta Recipe
- One Pot Spinach and Artichoke Bucatini
- Vegetarian Pasta Recipe - Penne with Artichokes, Sun Dried Tomatoes & Peas
- Pappardelle Pasta Recipe with Bacon, Egg & Cheese
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta from Piping Pot Curry
We all have tough days or days when we need a comforting meal when we come home. This angel hair pasta with creamy tomato sauce is sure to top your list of go-to meals.
If you like this Angel Hair Pasta with Blush Sauce recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Angel Hair Pasta With Blush Sauce
- 16 ounces Angel Hair pasta
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBS dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup white wine
- salt and crushed red pepper to taste
- ¾ cup half and half
- Chopped basil (dried is fine if you can't get fresh) for garnish
- Grated cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta al dente in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. It should be slightly undercooked. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain pasta when done.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, seasoning and wine. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is very thick while stirring well. Add salt and red pepper to taste.
- Add the half and half to the pan and cook until bubbly. Stir well.
- Add the pasta and water to the pan. Toss and cook for a few minutes or until sauce is thick and pasta is well coated. ***(See note)
- Serve in bowls garnished with basil and cheese.
First Published February 2013; Last Updated February 2021