One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac is a great family meal. I love cooking it on a week night and my family also likes the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Quick and easy dinners are a must in my household. They are typically what I cook on a week night. I am not the most consistent when it comes to having a weekly meal plan. Our dinner entrée is often decided at 4:30 pm what we will be eating at 6pm. I usually look in my fridge or pantry and then scramble to make sure dinner is put on the table. Pasta with Blush Sauce is one of our frequent dinners because it can be cooked so quick. I know I should be better at planning but I can usually pull off my last minute dinner tactics because I have been cooking for so long.
Always Keep Convenient Ingredients On Hand
It works like the show, Chopped, at our house before dinner time. And hopefully I have a good basket to cook with. I am big on keeping quick ingredients such as pasta, rice, chicken cutlets, frozen shrimp and veggies in my kitchen. I also like to keep several packages of Certified Angus Beef , lean ground beef on hand in my freezer. The packages can be defrosted in the microwave if I take them out of the freezer last minute.
Ground beef and pasta match up well together to make a delicious meal. I despise washing pots and pans so I came up with this recipe and only one pan is used. The meal contains every food group as it has pasta, meat, veggies and cheese in it. I like to make a green vegetable like asparagus or brussels sprout slaw on the side.
The dish can be heated up in the microwave the next day so I declare it to be the perfect meal.
This One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac cooks up in about half an hour. It is the type of meal you will want to put on your dinner rotation once a week!
Don't forget that Ingredients can always be substituted as necessary. My family loves beef but it can be swapped for ground turkey or chicken if necessary. Two jalapeno peppers can be used in place of one poblano if you'd like the dish to be a bit spicier. A home cook should use what they have on hand to make dinner easy.
What's one of your favorite week night meals?
One Skillet Poblano Chili Mac
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus extra to taste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 poblano pepper seeded, cored and diced
- ½ cup chopped sweet peppers red or yellow
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 can 15 ounce diced fired roasted tomatoes
- 3 ½ cups water extra if needed
- 8 ounces elbow noodles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add ground beef and cook for five minutes or until beef starts to brown. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt.
- Add onion and peppers. Saute for a few minutes or until onion is translucent and peppers are wilted. Add garlic to the pan and stir well.
- Add tomatoes and 3 ½ cups of water to the pan. Bring to a simmer and add noodles. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and let cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until pasta is cooked, stirring occasionally. Add extra water while cooking if necessary. Stir in one cup of cheese and mix gently until cheese is melted.
- Remove pan from heat and season with extra salt to taste. Garnish with extra cheddar cheese if desired.