This homemade lemonade is simple, classic, and refreshing! The perfect sweet and tangy summer beverage!
First Published July 2012; Updated August 2020
Homemade Lemonade to Beat the Heat!
I could easily fry eggs on my sidewalk this week. The thermometer has been over 90 almost everyday and this weekend was no different. I like all the sunshine but I could do without the extreme heat and humidity. This is the perfect time to make homemade lemonade.
Whenever we are at the Jersey shore, my kids want the tall lemonades with the lemons in the glass. One glass costs about four or five dollars. Talk about making lemons into lemonade. I've decided I could make my own pitchers of lemonade and it would cost a small fraction of those boardwalk drinks. I envision adding some blueberries, vodka and basil to a glass and having some friends over next weekend but for right now, let's talk sweet and tart lemonade.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few tips when making this refreshing homemade lemonade:
- Microwave the lemons for 10 seconds. Then roll them on the counter before cutting them. This makes them very juicy.
- Use superfine sugar as this dissolves best.
- Make sure to remove or strain those pesky seeds.
- Add fresh herbs such as basil or mint to spruce things up.
- To make flavored lemonade, add some blueberries or strawberries. It is really good pureed too.
- For an adult cocktail, add a shot of your favorite vodka.
My family likes to drink it straight up with no added fruit or herbs. I like mine with some fruit, some vodka and a splash of club soda.
How Do I Choose the Best Lemons?
- The ripest lemons will have no signs of green on their rinds. Paleness indicates some time has gone by since peak ripeness, which means less juice.
- Your fruit should feel firm and a bit heavy for its size, which indicates juiciness.
- For the purposes of this recipe, the best lemons will be the ones with thin, smooth skins, as these are the best for juicing.
The great thing is that lemons contain lots of vitamin C and have lots of health benefits. So you are getting a great dose by drinking a glass of lemonade.
Other Delicious Beverage Recipes
Try these summer beverages to beat the heat or just have a cool refreshing drink on your patio.
- Strawberry Mojitos with Fresh Strawberries
- Mason Jar Citrus Coolers from Woman's Day
- Strawberry Lemon Water with Fresh Mint
- Piña Colada from A Couple Cooks
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
- Cucumber Citrus Water
- Non Alcoholic Berry Spritzers
Summer Recipes to Pair with Homemade Lemonade
I'm all about eating on the patio and drinking a cool beverage. Here are some of my favorite light brecipes to nosh on.
- Avocado, Tomato, and Arugula Salad
- Strawberry Feta Skewers with Basil
- Black Bean Burgers from Sally's Baking Addiction
- Grilled Scallops from Hey Grill, Hey
- Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn) from The Noshery
- Super Easy Guacamole (with chips of course!)
- Caramel Nectarine Tart
If you like this recipe for Homemade Lemonade, please give it a 5-star rating below!
Simple Homemade Lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 cups water
- 6 large lemons juiced
- 1 lemon sliced
- plenty of crushed ice
- In a small saucepan, mix together the sugar and 1 cup of water. Heat on medium until sugar dissolves. Put the sugar water, regular water, lemon juice and sliced lemon in a large pitcher. Add ice and stir.