Citrus Cucumber Water Backstory
The last few weeks of summer have been good to me. We spent a week at the NJ shore and have been dining frequently outside with friends. August was also my husband and I's birthday month so it's been good. So good that I ate and drank way too much. So good that my jeans are a tad tight and I need to flush out the toxins with lots of water and healthy food. Here's a little bit on how to make cucumber water!
I made this huge pitcher of what I call spa water a few days ago and have been drinking it ever since. I am not a big water drinker but should be. This makes a glass go down much easier. I don't think the added vitamins from citrus and cucumbers are going to make me thinner or smarter. But it does make me drink a few extra glasses of water per day so I am happy with that.
Variations of Citrus Cucumber Water
The great thing is you can add other fruit or herbs to change things up a bit.
- Try adding some fresh mint or basil for a refreshing kick.
- Watermelon, pomegranates, or strawberries would be more delicious fruits to add into your citrus cucumber water.
- Lavender blossoms will infuse your drink with a subtle floral taste that's perfect for unwinding after a long day.
- For a healthy zing, add some ginger into your beverage.
- If you're a fan of cilantro, including a bit of the herb will further freshen up your cucumber water.
- Some other great fruits would be tangerine, apples, or some chopped cherries. For herbs, try rosemary, thyme, or lemongrass.
How do I buy the best cucumbers?
- Look for cucumbers that are nice and firm, with a surface that is fairly free of spots and blemishes.
- Also make sure to avoid any soft spots, which may indicate rotting.
- The best cucumbers are an even dark green, and yellow spots typically indicate that over-ripening has occurred.
- Avoid skins that are wrinkled, as this can mean that the cucumbers were stored for too long or are dried out.
How do I buy the best citrus fruits?
- When it comes to lemons, limes, and oranges, the rules are pretty much the same across the board. First, look for rinds that are pretty clear of blemishes and have an even coloring.
- The fruit should feel heavy for its size; this means lots of juice!
- Fruits with skins that are less textured and more smooth tend to yield more juice and fruit flesh as well.
- Avoid any fruits with soft spots or wrinkles. (The exception may be with something like a tangerine or clementine; their peels are supposed to be easier to feel and therefore will be looser).
- Smell the fruit and choose the ones that have sweet, strong aromas.
Other Beverage Recipes
- Homemade Lemonade
- Strawberry Lemon Water with Fresh Mint
- Summer Melon Sorbet Floats from Fifteen Spatulas
- Iced Chocolate Latte from Bunny's Warm Oven
- Sparkling Cherry Limeade from Fox and Briar
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie
If you like this recipe for citrus cucumber water, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Citrus Cucumber Spa Water
- 1 lemon seeded and sliced
- 2 oranges seeded and sliced
- 1 lime seeded and sliced
- 2 small cucumbers sliced
- 1 64 ounce pitcher of water
- Add lemons, oranges, lime and cucumbers to pitcher of water.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Serve garnished with the fruit or cucumbers.