Made with fresh strawberries, Strawberry Mojitos are so refreshing. They are the perfect sweet, strawberry cocktail you will want to relax with on a Saturday Night!
The weather is warming up in NJ and I am ready to sit outside on my patio with a cocktail. These strawberry mojitos are just what the doctor ordered. I am dreaming of one with some homemade salsa and a bowl of chips.
Come on spring, let's go!!!
What is a Mojito?
A mojito is a traditional Cuban cocktail made in a high ball glass. It consists of rum, sugar, water, lime juice and mint. Of course, all refreshing cocktails need some ice. There are many fruit versions of mojitos and I decided to add strawberries to mine.
To me cocktails are even better when you make them with fresh fruit. I love cocktails made with fresh oranges but since strawberries are all over the markets right now, this is a great drink to make. There is nothing like a ripe, juicy strawberry. Don't forget to have a few extra for the garnish.
These drinks contain fresh mint. It grows like wildfire in my garden during the spring and summer months. For a different twist, you can substitute basil or if you don't like any herbs in your drink, just leave it out.
What is simple syrup ?
These fresh strawberry cocktails are made with homemade simple syrup. While you can easily purchase a mix at a liquor store or the grocery store, do yourself a favor and make some of this.
Simple syrup is basically a thick water and sugar syrup used in a variety of cocktails. The mixture is boiled and your simple syrup is ready.
How do you store simple syrup?
The syrup lasts for weeks in the fridge. You can make a batch then store it in a jar with a tight lid. You will have reason to make more cocktails any night of the week.
More Fresh Strawberry Recipes
If you have some leftover strawberries and mint, you can make some Strawberry Lemon Mint Water. I like having a pitcher in the fridge as it is a good way to stay hydrated. It's much better than plain water but there is no extra calories.
When strawberries are abundant, try these fresh recipes:
Make some Strawberry Mojitos with fresh strawberries this weekend. Enjoy!
Fresh Strawberry Mojitos
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 strawberries
- a handful of mint leaves
- 1 limes
- 4 ounces rum
- lime flavored club soda
- In a small saucepan mix together the water and sugar. Bring the mix to a boil on medium heat. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Put the strawberries and some crushed mint leaves in two tall glasses. Crush (muddle) the strawberries with a fork or spoon.
- Cut the lime in half and slice two slices from the middle. Add one to each glass. Juice the remaining lime and divide amongst the two glasses.
- Add about ¼ cup of the sugar syrup ( you will have extra) to each glass and then half the rum in each glass. Stir to blend well.
- Fill each glass with ice and top with club soda to taste. Garnish with more mint.