Sautéed Baby Bella Mushrooms are cooked in a red wine sauce and are an easy side dish for vegetarians and meat lovers both. They are perfect mushrooms for steak but also great on pasta, toast and mashed potatoes.
If you don't like mushrooms, you can look away and move on to another recipe. But if you are a mushroom lover like me, you are going to love this sauteed mushroom recipe!
This is my favorite side dish recipe when making steaks. I love my steaks piled high with sautéed red wine mushrooms.
And if you are not a steak lover, you can still eat these mushrooms. Try them mixed in with tortellini pasta or eggs, or on toast and mashed potatoes. I like to make a good sourdough toast, spread some ricotta cheese on it then top it with mushrooms. So good for lunch!
Ingredients needed for Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
- olive oil - I always have some good quality olive oil in my pantry.
- baby bella mushrooms - Make sure they are fresh! I prefer these meatier mushrooms but you can also substitute white button mushrooms.
- chopped garlic - finely chopped is the way I use it. I don't like any big overpowering pieces of garlic in my mushroom side dish.
- red wine - It doesn't have to be super expensive wine but use whatever you might be drinking with dinner.
- butter - this will thicken the sauce just a little bit and give some great flavor.
- salt and pepper - I prefer sea or kosher salt. Also, fresh ground pepper always adds another dimension to food.
- parsley- fresh or dry is fine. When I can get fresh parsley I use it but I always keep dry parsley in my pantry.
What are Baby Bella mushrooms?
Baby bellas are a variety of mushrooms that are also known as Crimini mushrooms. They are somewhat similar to button mushrooms but are darker in color and a bit meatier. Baby bella mushrooms have a deep earthy flavor and their hearty taste makes them a perfect accompanient to beef.
Secrets to the Best Sautéed Mushrooms
These mushrooms in red wine sauce are very easy to make. They also can be prepared ahead of time and reheated in a pan or the microwave.
Here are the simple steps:
- Sauté Mushrooms in olive oil with garlic.
- Add red wine and deglaze the pan. Cook down the mushrooms until they are softened and liquid is reduced.
- Season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add a pat of butter to thicken the sauce.
- Serve over or next to your favorite beef recipe. Also great with pasta, potatoes or another meat such as pork.
- Lightly rinse mushrooms before using and pat dry with paper towels. The less moisture on the mushrooms, the better.
- Substitute beef broth (or vegetable broth to keep this vegetarian) if you do not want to cook with wine or alcohol.
- Add herbs at the end of cooking. Fresh parsley or thyme are my favorite but if you don't have fresh herbs, dried ones are a great choice to flavor these mushrooms for steak too.
Steak and Beef Recipes to Complement these Mushrooms
- Grilled Prime Rib Roast
- Crock Pot Roast
- Grilled Flat Iron Steak
- Cumin Rubbed Steak Kabobs
- Ridiculously Tasty Roast Beef Via Cattleman's beef Association
Baby Bella Mushroom Recipes
- Tenderloin Beef Tips and Mushrooms
- Mushroom Pasta Parmesan via A Couple Cooks
- Stove Top Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms
If you like this recipe for sautéed mushrooms, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Sautéed Baby Bella Mushrooms with Red Wine Sauce
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 10 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced also called cremini mushrooms
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 TBS salted butter
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (or your favorite herb) use 1 TBS only if using dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium sized skillet on medium high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add wine to deglaze the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid is reduced.
- Add butter and cook until melted and sauce slightly thickens.
- Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes like this one. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Oh yum, these look delicious. They would make a perfect side dish.
I've always been weirded out by mushrooms and their texture but my daughter and husband would be drooling over this!
Heather @ US Japan Fam
Thank you for the inspiration, these sound absolutely delicious!!! I always forget about mushrooms, unless it's a big main dish like portobello burger!! I need to start working them into our meals more!
This is a perfect addition for a steak dinner!
Oh I am not a mushroom fan, but even I can admit these look quite delicious! Red wine makes everything so flavorful!
Fabulous. Followed the exact recipe and loved, loved , loved it.
Thank you! So many ways to use the mushrooms!
Perfect compliment to my steak dinner! 5 Star + for sure.
Baby Bella mushrooms in a red wine sauce sound delicious and perfect for steak night!
These mushrooms turned out to be meaty, rich and super flavorful! They were the perfect side dish for our dinner tonight!
I love anything with mushrooms and these look amazing. Great with steak!
Wow I love mushrooms in any form, but sauteed with lots of butter and garlic sounds like perfection! Thanks for the recipe!
I started making these and will never look back red wine and mushrooms are a match made in heaven great recipe!!
Great base to my additions!
I used a cab, Merlot, Pinot wine blend and
Terrific! I like onion in mine too but my husband doesn't so I usually make it without. Happy cooking!