It's so easy to make Sunday Pot Roast in the Crock Pot using a lean bottom round roast. You'll get flavorful and tender meat and veggies in this simple one-pot meal every time.
Bottom Round Roast is the Perfect Crock Pot Roast
My favorite cut of beef to use for a slow cooker pot roast is the bottom round roast. It is a bit leaner than other cuts, and I like that the meat is not sitting in a pool of fat. It still is very tender and will fall apart just like my family likes it. Just make sure to cook it long enough on low heat, so it gets super tender. Other lean cuts that you can use are sirloin roasts or rump roasts.
If you prefer a fattier cut of beef, a chuck roast is what you are looking for. This will produce delicious melt in your mouth beef.
Either way, Sunday Pot Roast is the perfect one-pot meal!
Tips and Tricks For Sunday Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
I have a few little tricks which I'll share with you. These will make your meal effortless and your roast extra delicious.
- Generously season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Cut a few little slits in the meat and stuff whole cloves of garlic into the roast. The garlic melts into the meat giving it great flavor.
- Brown the meat on all sides before adding to the crockpot. This locks in the juices, promotes even cooking, and gives you a great base for the gravy.
- Slice all of your veggies into similar-sized pieces for even cooking.
- If the potatoes cook through before the roast, remove them and just reheat them before serving.
- When making the gravy, you can remove some of the meat and vegetables so that the gravy mixes easier. Then add back the meat and vegetables.
Side Dishes to Go With Crock Pot Roast
This Sunday Pot Roast is the perfect one pot meal. I serve my dinner with some crusty bread and a salad but you can serve other sides to go with this roast.
More Slow Cooker or Crock Pot Dinner Recipes
- Roaster Slow Cooker Chicken
- Healthy Jambalaya (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Beer Sliders
If you like this Crock Pot Roast, please leave a 5-star rating.
Sunday Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 lb boneless beef roast fat trimmed (I used bottom round)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 16 oz. carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs red potatoes cut in half & then each half quartered
- 1 spring fresh rosemary leaves removed from the stem & chopped (or ½ t dried)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon corn starch if desired to thicken gravy
- Season with salt & pepper the roast on all sides. Make 4 slits in the roast and stuff the garlic inside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.Add the meat to the skillet & cook until brown on all sides then place into the crockpot.
- Deglaze the pan used to brown the meat with the red wine and add the onion powder.
- Surround the beef with carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle with the rosemary and pour the wine mixture on top of everything. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Potatoes can be removed and set aside when they are cooked through.
- In the last hour of cooking mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Add it to the slow cooker to thicken the sauce and mix in well.
First Published February 2009 ; Last Updated April 2021
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.