This Creamy Gnocchi with Pesto dish will be on your table in under 30 minutes! It's loaded with peas, sun-dried tomatoes, and a flavorful gnocchi cream sauce. This vegetarian gnocchi recipe is easy comfort food!
I just realized I might be on an Italian food recipe spree. Is there such a thing? This time it's melt in your mouth gnocchi that are so easy to make. My family enjoys gnocchi and I love cooking them different ways because the prep is so easy.
The creamy pesto gnocchi you see are long gone, but I'm still dreaming about those little pillows with creamy sauce, sun dried tomatoes and peas. There is no meat involved so it's a perfect dish to serve when you need something vegetarian. Whether it's meatless Monday or Friday during lent, this vegetarian gnocchi recipe is sure to please everyone.
What type of gnocchi are used in this recipe?
I buy my gnocchi in the pasta isle and they are really easy to store and make any time I need a quick dinner. They come vacuum packed and this dinner goes on the table in under 25 minutes.
You can also purchase bags of frozen gnocchi in your freezer section of the grocery store. They work well too. And if you are really ambitious, you can make this homemade recipe.
How to Make Creamy Pesto Gnocchi
- Boil the gnocchi according to the package directions and reserve ¾ cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and toss in the pesto, half and half, peas, tomatoes and the reserved pasta water.
- Cook until bubbly then add the gnocchi and the parmesan cheese. Stir and cook until the gnocchi cream sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
That's it! I told you this creamy gnocchi was SUPER easy to make!
The weather in NJ has not been a bit chilly lately so I'm happy to put something warm and comforting on the dinner table. This is definitely not a low calorie meal but we really must indulge once in a while, right? You can always have some pan roasted fish or a chicken salad on another day. And just to let you know, I did not eat the whole bowl even though I would have liked to.
I make this Creamy Pesto Gnocchi along with a simple salad and dinner is complete. Make sure to keep some packages of gnocchi in your pantry to make this easy dinner. I love having dinner on the table so quick.
Side Dishes to go with Pesto Gnocchi
- Simple Balsamic Glazed Caprese Salad
- Farmers Market Tomato Salad
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Grilled Vegetable Salad via Small Town Woman
More Easy Vegetarian Dinners:
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Pasta with White Beans and Kale
- Baked Breaded Eggplant Parmesan Rounds
- Vegan Burritos with Black Rice and Lentils via Everyday Eileen
This vegetarian gnocchi recipe is perfect for meatless Monday, lent or any time you want a tasty meat-free dish.
If you like this vegetarian gnocchi recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Peas
- 16 to 18 ounce package of gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup jarred pesto
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the gnocchi for 2 to 4 minutes (or according to package directions) in a large pot of water. Drain and reserve ¾ cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil on medium high heat in a large skillet. Add pesto, half and half, peas, sun dried tomatoes and reserved pasta water. Stir well and cook for a few minutes or until peas are cooked and sauce is bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese and gnocchi. Cook for a few more minutes or until gnocchi are creamy and sauce has thickened while stirring gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra parmesan if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.