This pizza grilled cheese will satisfy both your grilled cheese and pizza craving. It's filled with all the flavors of a pepperoni pizza but much easier to make!
One of my earliest cooking memories is making grilled cheese sandwiches. I stayed at my grandparents’ house a good part of the summer when I was a kid. My grandmother and I would make “toasted cheese sandwiches” on a regular basis as well as other goodies like .
Nana, as I called her, had a grilled cheese maker that she used all the time. This appliance was a 1970s version of the panini maker. I distinctly remember pressing the metal cover down so the sandwiches would get nice and toasty. In the summer, we would slice juicy ripe Jersey tomatoes and put them in the middle of the sandwiches. Cheese is great paired with tomatoes and I make a summer tomato pie with these flavors too.
Pizza Grilled Cheese is a family favorite!
Now that I have children of my own, grilled cheese sandwiches are still a favorite in my household. My teenagers will not refuse a grilled cheese sandwich. They are easy and quick to make and perfect for nights where there are meetings, soccer practices and part time jobs to attend to. I don’t mind eating one for dinner myself. And they are even better when they are Pizza Grilled Cheese with added pepperoni.
April is National Grilled Cheese month so it's the perfect opportunity to test out some grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyone loves this easy comfort food!
I decided to put together the flavors of a pepperoni pizza in a grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich is filled with gooey stretchy cheese and pepperoni gives the sandwich extra pizzazz. A light cornmeal Parmesan dusting on the bread gives some extra crunch. Homemade marinara sauce is served on the side because I didn’t want the sandwich to get soggy if it was spread on the bread. It is the perfect accompaniment to dip in. Most importantly, Texas toast bread is used. Thick pieces of bread make this sandwich hearty. Big flavors deserve a sturdy piece of bread.
Our refrigerator has a large cheese drawer which is always filled to the top. I have caught my kids red-handed many times with cheese in their hands right out of that drawer. Luckily there was enough cheese left to make this Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is my family's favorite grilled cheese sandwich, but I know it could change at any time when I decide to try a new creation. There are so many possibilities for a grilled cheese sandwich so what is your favorite?
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices Texas toast extra thick white bread
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 ½-ounce slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 ½-ounce slices cheddar or American cheese
- 12 slices thin pepperoni
- 1 ½ TBS corn meal
- 1 ½ TBS Parmesan cheese
- Oil for greasing
- 1 TBS dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread with butter. Layer 4 slices bread, buttered-side down, with 2 slices of Italian Blend cheese and 2 slices of Deli American Cheese. Top with 3 slices of pepperoni and remaining bread, buttered-side up.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn meal and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture on the buttered bread and press down so the corn meal mixture sticks to the bread.
- Grease a large skillet or griddle and bring to medium heat. Place sandwiches (as many that can fit) onto skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until sandwiches are golden brown and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Sprinkle sandwiches with Italian seasoning. Serve with sauce.