Spicy tomato soup is full of flavor that's warm and comforting. This easy tomato soup recipe is ready in about 20 minutes and pairs well with a sandwich for a satisfying lunch.
This easy tomato soup recipe is made in about 20 minutes so it's perfect for meal prep. The leftovers can be heated in the microwave the next day and served with a sandwich for a filling lunch. I like to make a double batch on Sunday nights so I have plenty of spicy tomato soup for lunchtime all week long.
While I love my Jersey tomatoes in the summer, I am not afraid to use canned tomatoes in the off season for stews, sauces and Italian Gravy. Today I am using diced tomatoes with chilies to create a spicy tomato soup.
I love these canned tomatoes because they have a little kick to them with the green chilies mixed in. I couldn't resist adding a dash of cayenne pepper because I like my soup extra spicy. If you are not that fond of spicy soup, you can leave out the extra cayenne pepper for a soup that has more flavor than spice.
Ingredients Needed for this Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies – These canned tomatoes are the perfect shortcut to making homemade tomato soup all year round.
- Garlic – Garlic adds an earthy flavor.
- Chicken Broth – Feel free to substitute vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Dried Basil – You can also use fresh but you probably have dried basil on hand in any season.
- Cayenne Pepper – This optional ingredient is perfect if you are looking for a bit more heat.
- Half and Half – Give your soup a silky, creamy texture.
- Salt – Just a bit will really bring out the flavor of the tomatoes.
My Favorite Soup Toppings
I love to serve soup with a sandwich or salad. Grilled cheese is perfect for dipping but you can also make this soup a meal in itself by adding some tasty toppings. The possibilities are endless but here are a few of my favorite toppings for this easy tomato soup recipe.
- Parmesan Crisps (AKA Frico)
- Homemade Croutons
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Fresh Herbs (Try basil or cilantro.)
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Tortilla strips
- Pico de Gallo
Sandwiches to serve with Spicy Tomato Soup
- Pizza Grilled Cheese with Pepperoni
- Cordon Chicken Bleu Sandwich
- Hummus Veggie Wrap
- Grilled Ham and Blue Cheese Sandwich via Grumpy's Honeybunch
Soup is simple and healthy and you are going to love this spicy tomato soup recipe.
If you like this easy tomato soup recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Spicy Tomato Soup
- 20 ounces Red Gold Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (2 - 10oz cans)
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 12 oz chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup half and half
- salt to taste
- In a small sauce pan on medium heat, mix together tomatoes, garlic, broth, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and turn down heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to process the tomatoes until smooth. (A regular blender can also be used but soup will have to be transferred back and forth.)
- Add half and half and season with salt to taste. S
- erve with croutons, crackers, herbs or whatever you like to top off the soup.
- Makes 2 servings.
First Published December 2011 ; Updated October 2021
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
You are definitely one of the biggest canned tomato proponents I know!
The Food Hunter
I miss being able to get this brand of canned tomatoes.
I love canned tomatoes too. I've never thought to make a spicy tomato soup. YUM!
What a great idea! It would be great after a hard day on the slopes.
I'm thinking next year I need to see If I can can some of my tomatos with peppers in them already
That's what I was wanting for dinner tonight. Wonder if I can find those tomatoes around here. Hope you have a great Christmas weekend 🙂
Tomato soup is so comforting this time of year! Looks delicious! 🙂
I love Red Gold tomatoes, I always try to stock up when they go on sale.
You had me at spicy! 😀
Merry Christmas to you and your family Lisa!
This looks perfect. All it needs is a gooey grilled cheese sandwich!