I love pairing wine with food! Here are some tips and basics on what goes with what. Also check out my new wine fridge.
Thank you to NewAir for sending me a wine fridge to review. As usual all opinions are my own.
We often like to have a happy hour at home on Friday nights. It's a good thing I like to entertain because there is not a lot to do these days outside of our house. But it's easy to get together a few drinks, some appetizers and dessert to serve to friends. And we have had some great nights on the patio.
Wine is versatile and goes with so many types of food. There really is a wine to serve with anything. I am not overly strict with what foods go with wine. I follow some simple rules but also make exceptions if I need to. Here are some basic tips that I go by:
Wine Pairing Tips
- Red wine pairs well with bold meats (red meat like steak, burgers and sausage).
- White wine goes with lighter intensity poultry and seafood.
- Cook with whatever wine you are drinking. Since I like pinot noir, I'll add that type of red wine to the stew that I'm making.
- Pair hearty, rich foods with a bold red wine and lighter meals with light wine such as a rose or crisp white wine.
- Sweet food pairs well with sweet wine. However I do like any type of red wine with chocolate.
- Acidic foods go with acidic wines.
- Drink and eat what you like. If you want white wine with red meat then go for it!
Now that we know some basics for pairing our wine with food, let's talk about storing it. My brand new NewAir Freestanding 23 Bottle Compressor Wine Fridge is perfect to store just the right amount of wine. It is compact and can store 23 bottles which is just the perfect size for me. It's very quiet and keeps wine at the perfect temperature between 41 and 64 degrees. I love the super sleek stainless steel design and it doesn't take up too much room is my dining room. It also has removable shelves so I can adjust the fridge just the way I want it. The best part is the inexpensive price for this amazing appliance. You can get this wine fridge for under $300!
What recipes go with red wine?
These are some of my favorite recipes to pair with red wine.
- Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Mushrooms
- Mushroom Chicken Thighs with Rosemary
- Mini Lasagna Bolognese
What recipes go with white wine?
I love seafood and chicken with white wine. Here are a few of my favorite recipes.
So now that you know what wines to serve with food, here's something you can do with old wine bottles. Make DIY Wine Bottle candles. These are perfect for the holidays! You can also paint them to any occasion.
Happy wine drinking and eating!