This Mini Lasagna Cups Bolognese recipe and post is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef® Brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Raise your hand if you like Lasagna Bolognese. How about lasagna baked in 12 minutes?
Yeah, now we are talking!
What ingredients are needed for Mini Lasagna Cups Bolognese?
You are going to love this recipe. First off, it's made with the best beef which is Certified Angus Beef. I like to use lean ground beef which eliminates the step of having to drain any grease after browning the meat. Typically, I buy 85% to 93% lean ground beef.
My local Shoprite has a great beef section with lots of Certified Angus Beef cuts. Their butchers are terrific and will gladly get you a special cut or order if you need it.
To make this recipe lighter, I use lower fat, part skim mozzarella and ricotta cheese. This lasagna also contains a small amount of grated Parmesan cheese to give the ricotta mixture more flavor.
I do love pasta and make it often. Typically, it is on my family's dinner table once a week. If we are not having Mini Lasagna Bolognese, you might see Pasta with Blush Sauce or Shrimp Linguini with Asparagus on our table.
Instead of pasta noodles, this lasagna bolognese uses wonton wrappers. They are the perfect size to make in muffin cups. The outside of the mini Lasagna Bolognese get a little crispy while the inside has the texture of perfectly cooked pasta.
How long does it take to make this lasagna dish?
This recipe takes under 40 minutes from start to finish!
The Bolognese sauce is made quickly in a frying pan. The meat is browned and then crushed tomatoes, spices and red wine make it extra delicious. Beef broth can be substituted for wine if desired but make sure to use a low sodium stock or broth.
This is a very thick and hearty meat sauce that gives the lasagna lots of flavor. There is also extra to serve on the side.
Sometimes I make the sauce the night before I assemble the mini lasagna cups. Just make sure to heat the sauce up before assembling if you chose to prep this way.
The mini lasagnas are very easy to assemble and then they are baked in the oven for only 12 minutes! I use this basic 12- count muffin pan that works well.
How easy is that?
What should be served with Mini Lasagna Bolognese?
A special dinner needs some dessert so Honey Mint Lime Fruit Salad is great as a light choice. If you want something more decadent, Cannoli Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries will satisfy your sweet craving but are also on the lighter side.
This is a great family dinner recipe but these lasagnas are also perfect for a party. The recipe makes 12 but it is fairly easy to double so you can serve a crowd. And everyone always likes mini food served at parties.More Bolognese Recipes
Mini Lasagna Cups Bolognese
- 12 cup muffin tin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces Certified Angus ground beef lean (85/15)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 28 ounces (1 can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried basil, divided use
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onions
- ½ cup red wine beef broth can be substituted if necessary
- 1 ½ cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs fresh basil or parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until meat is browned. Add garlic, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon dried basil (reserve ½ tbsp), salt, pepper, onions, and wine. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat. Stir well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, reserved dried basil, egg and parmesan cheese.
- Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray. Line the bottom of each muffin cup with a wonton wrapper. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of sauce onto the top of each wonton wrapper. Top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place remaining wonton wrappers on top then another 1 tablespoon of meat sauce, ricotta and mozarella cheese until all the cheese is used up. There will be leftover meat sauce which can be served on the side.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until lasagnas are cooked through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing from the muffin tin. Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired and serve with extra Bolognese sauce.