Asian Pan Seared Scallops with Spinach is an easy dinner to make on a weeknight but fancy enough for the weekend. The secret ingredient is Ponzu sauce to make it one tasty dish!
I'm always looking for a quick meal to get on my dinner table. Thirty minutes is enough to make this meal, plus scarf it right down with a full glass of wine. I might even be able to chow down some dessert.
Well, maybe not. A relaxing dinner sounds much better, doesn't it?
But you understand. You can make this meal and have plenty of extra time to relax. It's all made in a single pan so clean up is easy too!
Tips for Cooking Asian Scallops
These scallops were fresh and delicious. Always make sure to use the freshest scallops possible. I like to buy them the same day I'm cooking them.
You might have seen my recipe for Pan Seared Scallops with Brown Butter Beer Sauce so you know I love cooking scallops in a cast iron pan. It gives these Asian seared scallops a nice crust and the inside is creamy and will just melt in your mouth.
Also make sure to give your scallops a pat with some paper towels. This removed any moisture so that and will help create that nice golden crust.
Scallops do not take very long to cook. Just make sure the pan is super hot when you add them.
What is Ponzu Sauce?
I love cooking with Ponzu sauce. It's a soy citrus sauce that adds a lot of flavor to the dish. I have several bottled versions that I love however, it can also be made at home with this recipe. I might try a homemade version sooner or later but this time I'd thought I'd use my extra time to make a Caramel Nectarine Tart to enjoy after dinner.
Use Fresh Spinach!
Make sure to use fresh spinach in this dish as frozen is just not the same. I often buy bags of baby spinach so the prep is very minimal.
You can use regular spinach also but make sure to clean it well. No one wants gritty spinach, right?
Make this restaurant quality dish and everyone will be asking for Asian Scallops with Spinach again and again. So good!
More Seared Scallop Recipes:
If you like this Asian Scallops recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Seared Asian Scallops with Spinach
- cast iron pan or other frying pan
- 12 large scallops (1 to 1 ¼ lbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup ponzu sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Asian Seared Scallops with Spinach is an easy dinner to make on a weeknight but fancy enough for the weekend. The secret ingredient is Ponzu sauce to make it one tasty dish!
- In a large cast iron pan (or other frying pan), heat oil and butter to medium high heat. Sprinkle scallops with garlic, salt and pepper. Sear scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove scallops from pan , keep warm and set aside.
- Add spinach to pan and cook for a few minutes or until wilted. Add ponzu sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Place spinach on 4 plates reserving the sauce in the pan. Place 3 scallops on top of each plate of spinach. Top with the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste if necessary.