This hearty Cabbage and Beef Soup will be the comfort food that you need! I make this for dinner at least twice a month however I could eat it every week.
Many years ago my friend from college introduced me to cabbage borscht (AKA Cabbage Beef Soup) at a Jewish deli. I love beets but I am not a fan of borscht soup. So when my friend told me I must get the cabbage borscht, I was a little hesitant. But there are no beets in this soup.
Her grandmother made the best cabbage borscht and the deli we would frequent for lunch was a close second. I obliged and have been a fan ever since.
Cabbage borscht is not like the cold beet soup many think borscht is. It is a sweet and slightly sour vegetable soup filled with tender pieces of beef brisket, cabbage and tomatoes.
It is my all time favorite soup. I decided to make my own version and call it Cabbage and Beef Soup so no one would think it's a cold beet soup.
This is also nothing like the low calorie diet cabbage soup. Remember that?
Back in my younger days, I tried the cabbage soup diet and ate plenty of that soup for seven days. This is much better and of course, many more calories.
What type of beef should you use in this soup?
The beef I used for this soup was a Certified Angus Beef ® bottom round roast. I went for a leaner cut. A chuck roast is a fattier cut but would make the soup much more rich. Brisket, boneless short ribs or any cut of beef that can be cooked long and slow would work. I made this on my stove top but I'm sure it could be made in the slow cooker. Either way, it's delicious and I hope you will try it.
This soup goes great with Cheesy Beer Bread and you have yourself one fine comfort food meal.
And we all could use some comfort food at this moment, right?
Can you freeze this soup?
I made a double batch and stored several containers in my freezer. There is nothing like coming home on a chilly day to a bowl of this warm cabbage and beef soup.
It's a really good soup recipe to freeze. Just store in air tight containers then defrost and heat up in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
The leftovers are delicious!
Like Soup? Try my other Soup Recipes!
Cabbage and Beef Soup
- 1 ½ pound beef roast, bottom round, chuck, brisket, etc, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots cleaned and chopped
- 1 large head of cabbage cored and chopped
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 cups water plus more if needed
- 1 can 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- the juice from 2 medium sized lemons
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute the beef roast in the olive oil on medium heat until brown. Add onions and carrots. Saute until veggies are wilted.
- Add cabbage, broth, water, tomatoes, lemon juice, sugar and tomato paste. Stir, cover and simmer on low for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender and will shred with a fork.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Extra water can be added while cooking if soup gets too thick.