The Best Chicken Noodle Soup is made whenever I have a leftover roaster chicken. This homemade chicken soup recipe is a keeper!
Everyone should know how to make a comforting pot of chicken soup. There is nothing better than a nice warm bowl of soup on a cold winter day. It is also one of those great meals that can be made in advance or pulled out of the freezer when you have a sick family member or friend.
What ingredients are in the best chicken noodle soup?
- one leftover chicken carcass
- carrots, onions and celery
- noodles or other pasta
Every time I make chicken noodle soup, it comes out a little different. That's because I use different seasonings on my roasted chicken. I find that Cuban Roasted Chicken makes a really good chicken soup but you can use any chicken that's well seasoned. Store bought rotisserie chicken also works and is a great time saver.
This soup is totally made from scratch. It starts with a chicken carcass that still has some meat left on the bones. I always make a big chicken so that I'll have at least ⅓ of it to make soup. The carcass cooks in water along with vegetables and herbs. It all gets strained and carrots and celery are added along with whatever noodles or pasta you like. This takes about 2 hours to cook but worth every minute. You'll have the best chicken noodle soup simmering on your stove while you can work on something else.
What type of noodles should you use?
The nice thing about chicken noodle soup is that you can use all types of noodles. Sometimes I use spaghetti and other times I'm in the mood for wide egg noodles. They are added at the end so you can basically use whatever you like. Or you could add orzo, elbow macaroni or pastina. Make this a gluten free recipe by using gluten free noodles too.
Tips for making the best homemade chicken noodle soup:
- Make a really big batch so you can freeze some. You can double the recipe below but make sure not to add the noodles until you reheat the soup.
- The longer the stock cooks, the more flavorful it is. Onions and celery are not the only veggies that can be added to flavor the soup. Some other favorites are parsnips, leeks, garlic and chives. You can also use your favorite herbs.
- If you don't want to add noodles, you can substitute rice also. Add dry rice to the last 25 minutes of cooking time. It might soak up the broth so make sure to add extra water.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
February 4th is National Homemade Soup Day!
I could eat soup all winter. In case you didn't know, February 4th is national homemade soup day. So I included a list of homemade soups after the recipe so you can make soup on February 4th then continue on all winter.
Why not celebrate and have some soup? Happy cooking!
Best Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 leftover roasted chicken carcass
- a large pot of water
- 1 large onion peeled
- 3 large stalks of celery trimmed
- a handful of parsley and dill or other favorite herbs
- 3 large carrots peeled and trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces noodles
- 1 Tbsp dried herbs
- Put the chicken in a large soup pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil, add onion, cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour. Add the celery, herbs and carrots. Cover and cook on low heat for another 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat. Cool for a few minutes. Strain the broth and remove the chicken and vegetables. Chop the chicken into small pieces, discarding the bones and skin. Skim the broth for any extra fat. Chop the carrots, celery and onion(if desired). Discard herbs.
- Pour broth in the pot and add the chicken and chopped vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook soup on medium heat and bring the broth to a simmer. Add noodles or pasta and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until noodles are done. Season with more salt and pepper and dried herbs if desired.
Hearty Homemade Soup
- Best Chicken Noodle Soup by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Chicken BLT Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chili Rellano Soup by Art of Natural Living
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Dandelion Green Soup by That Recipe
- French Dip Onion Soup by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Quick Homemade Ham and Bean Soup by Our Good Life
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Weeknight Minestrone Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Zuppa Toscana by Sweet Beginnings