Spicy Lentil Soup with Chicken Sausage is healthy, hearty and will make your belly happy!
There is a little chill in the air. This morning it was a sunny 52 degrees out. I love how it will still get in the high 60's during the day but cools way down by dinner time. This means that it's time to make a big pot of soup.
Soup is not the most glamorous meal to look at. I think this bowl might even be on the ugly side. But it really tastes good and it is so comforting on a chilly fall day. The recipe is so easy I thought I should share it.
What goes well with this Spicy Lentil Soup?
There is nothing better than the smell of a pot of soup simmering on the stove. It makes me hungry just thinking about it. This soup goes great with a homemade loaf of Cheesy Beer Bread and a simple Cranberry, Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad. Doesn't this dinner menu spell autumn?
This spicy lentil soup was hearty, spicy and perfect to have on a Sunday afternoon for lunch while watching some football games. The best thing is that it's healthy as there are lentils and veggies which are good for you. I used lean chicken Andouille sausage that I bought at Trader Joe's . The fat calories were lower than a pork sausage. But feel free to use any type of sausage you like. And if you don't care for spicy food, you can always cook this spicy lentil soup with a mild sausage too.
This Spicy Lentil Soup can easily be adapted to a vegan recipe too! The sausage can be left out and vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth. My daughter is a vegetarian and she loves it this way!
I started this soup with a mirepoix base which is a mixture of carrots, onion and celery. I sometimes premake it to keep in the freezer which would make this recipe even easier.
Let's get some more soup, stews and chili on the stove! What's your favorite fall comfort food?
Spicy Lentil Soup with Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1 TBS canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 ounces chicken Andouille sausage or another spicy sausage, cut into small bite size pieces
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces dried lentils rinsed and sorted through
- 2 cups water or more if necessary
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil on medium heat and saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add sausage and cook for another few minutes until starting to brown.
- Add broth. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid and cook on low for about 40 more minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if soup is too thick.