Spicy Lentil Soup with Chicken Sausage is loaded with vegetables and full of protein; this healthy, hearty soup will make your belly happy!
Ahhh...soup season. Lately, there has been a little chill in the air. This morning it was a sunny 52 degrees out, and it climbed into the high 60's during the day. By dinner time, the temperature had cooled way down, and I was searching for a sweater. This means that it's time to make a big pot of soup.
They say you eat with your eyes first. But, let's be honest. Soup is not the most glamorous meal to look at. I think this spicy lentil soup bowl might even be on the ugly side. But it really tastes good, and is so comforting on a chilly day. The recipe is so easy. I know you will love it too.
Why You'll Love Sausage and Lentil Soup
- Perfect For Sunday – This spicy lentil soup is hearty, spicy and perfect to have on a Sunday afternoon for lunch while watching some football games.
- Healthy – This soup is loaded with veggies and lentil and since I use lean chicken sausage, it keeps this soup nice and healthy.
- Vegan Option – Skip the sausage (or use a vegan sausage) and swap the broth for a vegetable broth. My daughter is a vegetarian and she loves it this way!
- Canola Oil - Or your preferred light, neutral oil.
- Vegetable – Onions, celery and carrots provide color, nutrients and flavor to the soup.
- Garlic – Freshly chopped garlic is preferred but you can use jarred garlic.
- Crushed Red Pepper – Adjust to taste adding more if you prefer a spicier soup. Or you can leave the pepper out and use a mild sausage for a soup that is not spicy.
- Chicken Andouille Sausage – I used a lean but spicy chicken Andouille sausage that I bought at Trader Joe's . The fat calories were lower than a pork sausage but feel free to use any sausage that you like.
- Chicken Broth – I use low sodium broth so I can season the soup to taste.
- Lentils – Use any color of dried lentils. Click here for more information on different colored lentils.
- Water – Add enough to completely cover the lentils.
- Fresh Parsley - I love fresh herbs but 1 tablespoon of dried parsley can be substituted if fresh is not available.
- Salt and Pepper – Season to taste just before serving.
Steps to Making Spicy Lentil Soup
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and saute the aromatics and vegetables.
- Stir in the sausage and allow it to brown slightly.
- Add the broth and use a wooden spoon to scrap the bottom of a pot.
- Simmer for 10 minutes before adding the lentils and water.
- Cover and cook on low for 40 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Season before serving.
- I started this spicy lentil soup with a mirepoix base which is a mixture of carrots, onion and celery. I sometimes premake it to keep in the freezer which would make this recipe even easier.
- Skip the sausage and use vegetable broth for a vegan version of this soup.
- Use a mild sausage and skip the crushed red pepper if you prefer less spice.
- The lentils will absorb a fair amount of water while cooking. Add additional water before serving to reach the desired consistancy.
Spicy Lentil Soup Serving Suggestions
- Cheesy Beer Bread
- Cranberry, Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad
- No Knead Artisan Bread from Cookin' with Mima.
The best thing about Spicy Lentil Soup is that it's as healthy as it is flavorful.
If you like this sausage and lentil soup, please leave a 5-star rating.
Spicy Lentil Soup with Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1 TBS canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more depending on taste)
- 12 ounces chicken Andouille sausage or another smoked sausage, cut into small bite size pieces
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces dried lentils rinsed and sorted through
- 2 cups water or more if necessary
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat oil on medium heat and saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add sausage and cook for another few minutes until starting to brown.
- Add broth. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid and cook on low for about 40 more minutes or until lentils are tender. Add fresh parsley the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if soup is too thick.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Adam J. Holland
Let's get one thing straight — that bowl of soup is anything but ugly. In fact, that picture has caused me to have a hankering ... and I'm in the Houston area, where heat and sticky weather are a way of life. As much as I like lentils, it's been probably five years since I've cooked them. Shame on me and kudos to you!
looks so warm and hearty and I just so happen to have all the ingredients ...looks like lentil soup for dinner tonight as there is a chill in the air--thank you
This sounds lovely and really tasty. Thank you for sharing this.
Nothing says hearty food as lentil soup! As your daughter, I’m a vegetarian,and I’m happy to try this recipe out without the chicken. Thanks for sharing!
Yessss I have a huge bag of lentils I'm trying to find ways to use since my boyfriend doesnt like them LOL. I get the sausage would make it work for him 🙂 thanks!
I am so into soups this year! I actually add avocado and tortilla chips to all of them! Now this delicious recipe is must cook for me now
This soup looks perfect for the winter cold front that is headed to Chicago. Yum!
In this cold weather, soup is definitely on the menu. This recipe looks just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for sharing!