Crock Pot Chicken Tacos is a go-to meal in our house on any night of the week. Slow cooker shredded chicken for tacos can also be used in enchiladas, casseroles, and salads, so it's a versatile meal that the whole family will love, and it practically cooks itself!
It's Shredded Chicken Taco Night
It doesn't have to be Tuesday for my family to want tacos! Crock pot chicken tacos are perfect for a party, game watching, or just a nice easy weeknight dinner any night of the week. Get out your crockpot or slow cooker, and with minimal prep, dinner will be ready.
I made these shredded chicken tacos the other night, and while they were cooking, I also was on FaceBook, doing laundry and setting the table. This meal practically cooks itself. Everything goes in the pot, and a few hours later, you have a great meal.
Ingredients Needed for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chicken – I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they are inexpensive, flavorful and come out juicy and tender every time. You can use chicken breast if you prefer.
- Diced Tomatoes – Diced tomatoes with chilis add flavor and a little bit of heat. Fire roastes tomatoes with chilis also work well here. You can also use regular diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilis. Make use of what you have on hand, just avoid tomatoes that have italian seasoning added!
- Spices – Chili and cumin will give this chicken a classic Mexican flavor while salt and pepper brings together and enhances all of the flavors.
- Cilantro – In my opinion you can't have Mexican food without cilantro. If you aren't a fan you can skip it but it makes the flavor amazing.
Optional Shredded Chicken Taco Toppings
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Super Easy Mexican Guacamole
- Three Minute Blender Salsa
- Chopped lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro and onions
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheese - Cheddar, pepperjack or some type of Mexican cheese works well
More Crock Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Sunday Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Beer Sliders
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings from Margin Making Mom
- Mongolian Short Ribs
Shredded Chicken for Tacos and More
The Mexican shredded chicken mixture is perfect for soft tacos, but you could also make quesadillas, burritos or enchiladas. If you are watching carbs, this delicious chicken can go on top of a salad too. While tacos are my family's favorite, there is so much versatility in this recipe.
If you like Crock Pot Chicken Tacos, please leave a 5-star rating.
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any extra fat
- 14 ounces can, diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put chicken and tomatoes in the crock pot. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low 6 to 8 hours.
- Cook until meat can be shredded easily with fork. Add cilantro and salt and pepper to taste at the end of cooking.
- Serve with tortillas and desired toppings. (Calories below do not include optional toppings or tortillas).
First Published January 2009 ; Updated October 2021