Crock Pot Chicken Tacos is a go-to meal in our house on any night of the week. Slow cooker shredded chicken for tacos can also be used in enchiladas, casseroles, and salads, so it's a versatile meal that the whole family will love, and it practically cooks itself!
It's Shredded Chicken Taco Night
It doesn't have to be Taco Tuesday for my family to want tacos! Crock pot chicken tacos are perfect for a party, game watching, or just a nice easy weeknight dinner any night of the week. Get out your crockpot or slow cooker, and with minimal prep, dinner will be ready.
I made these shredded chicken tacos the other night, and while they were cooking, I also was on FaceBook, doing laundry and setting the table. This flavorful chicken taco recipe practically cooks itself. Everything goes in the pot, and a few hours later, you have a great meal.
Ingredients Needed for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chicken – I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are inexpensive, flavorful and come out juicy and tender every time. You can use skinless chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Diced Tomatoes – Diced tomatoes with chilis add flavor and a little bit of heat. Fire roasted tomatoes with chilis also work well here. You can also use regular diced tomatoes and a small can of mild green chiles. If you don't like chunky tomatoes, you can substitute tomato sauce instead. Make use of what you have on hand, just avoid tomatoes that have italian seasoning added!
- Spices – Chili powder and cumin will give this chicken a classic Mexican flavor while salt and black pepper brings together and enhances all of the flavors.
- Cilantro – In my opinion you can't have Mexican food without fresh cilantro. If you aren't a fan you can skip it but it makes the flavor amazing.
- Tortillas - Use corn or flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are a good option if you are looking to make a gluten free dinner. Both soft and hard taco shells work.
See recipe card below for exact amounts and full instructions.
Optional Shredded Chicken Taco Toppings
I have so many favorite taco toppings that sometimes it is hard to choose. Here are a few of my family's favorite toppings.
- Black Beans and Corn Salsa
- Super Easy Mexican Guacamole
- Three Minute Blender Salsa
- Chopped lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, lime wedges and onions
- Sour cream
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Shredded Cheese - Cheddar, pepperjack or some type of Mexican cheese works well
Shredded Chicken for Tacos and More
The Mexican chicken filling is a perfect way to stuff tacos, but you could also make quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas or even burrito bowls. If you are watching carbs, this delicious chicken can go on top of a taco salad too. While tacos are my family's favorite, there is so much versatility in this simple recipe.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in your fridge. The taco filling can be made in advance then reheated in the microwave or in a large skillet on the stove. It's a great way to get a quick week night dinner on the table. I also like to make this easy recipe for a party as there is just a few minutes of prep. It's a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The delicious tacos can be served with a toppings bar and you are set for a crowd.
Or make this easy Mexican Beef recipe and have two types of meats to make a fun taco bar.
More Crock Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Sunday Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Beer Sliders
- Mongolian Short Ribs
- Crock Pot Italian Porketta Roast
If you like Crock Pot Chicken Tacos, please leave a 5-star rating.
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any extra fat
- 14 ounces can, diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortillas, for serving
- Put chicken and tomatoes in the crock pot. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin.
- Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low 6 to 8 hours.
- Cook until meat can be shredded easily with fork. Add cilantro and salt and pepper to taste at the end of cooking.
- Serve with tortillas and desired toppings. (Calories below do not include optional toppings or tortillas).
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.